• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Turns out there is no problem after all.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Balfour Maxinei wasn't so interested in the cricket I put in her cage so I had an idea.

Why not just try to give Patricia (Striata) a crack at it? After all, she can simply climb the wall of the cage if the cricket annoys her and her bite is probably enough to disable a human hand or limb even at this stage.

So I put it in before work and when I got back, here's the result. Heck, she might have even nailed it just a few minutes before I got home.

She's a pretty calm spider. I did light up the enclosure slightly from both a flashlight and the flash from my phone's camera. She calmly walked away and I stopped when I suspected she might be annoyed.

My versicolor won't stand for that for more then a second or two. I think Patricia now knows she's a badass!!

P Striata cricket 1.jpg
P Striata cricket 2.jpg
P Striata cricket 3.jpg
P striata cricket 4.jpg

They are separate pics but she didn't move at all. They were taken with a flash on from the phone plus a flashlight to the side. She even patiently sat around for the video above.

The pics were taken first. The differences were from the angle of the flashlight. I zoomed them but the original distance of the phone varied as well.

I could swear that I saw just a hint of violet or blue but upon examination of the photos, that proves to be mistaken.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The other thing it means is that the spider is functional within the enclosure and can take on challenging prey items. The hissing roach is also nowhere to be seen as well.

Hanging out by the water dish makes sense. Sooner or later everything gets thirsty if you chill out long enough.

Clever girl!! (I hope a female still unsexed and will be for a while)