• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ts that don't meet expectations.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just a curiosity thread to be honest to find out what people have experienced.

Everyone's heard the stories of Obts being angry all the time, A Chalcodes being chill but doesn't eat , Pokies are bolt machines and many more. But I'm interested in people's actual experiences and not stories.

Reason for this is I'm sure everyone's aware that the C Minax is "Agressive" not defencive yet I've got a soft spot for out lil Minax and it doesn't show any of this behaviour at all. During rehousing it didn't bolt or threat, just toddled into new enclosure. Recently molted and is now around 3" so plenty of time to change yet the A Genic we had of similar size was nothing but an asshole during rehousing. Threat postures , biting of the brush , bolts and all sorts.

Just curious I guess :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OBT - my big girl would run and hide, I never had a threat pose from her in the time I had her and my little sling is very shy.
Poecilotheria metallica - probably the calmest T I have
Cyriocosmus leetzi - at 0.5" the most prolific hair kicker I've ever had.

Soulman

Just a curiosity thread to be honest to find out what people have experienced.

Everyone's heard the stories of Obts being angry all the time, A Chalcodes being chill but doesn't eat , Pokies are bolt machines and many more. But I'm interested in people's actual experiences and not stories.

Reason for this is I'm sure everyone's aware that the C Minax is "Agressive" not defencive yet I've got a soft spot for out lil Minax and it doesn't show any of this behaviour at all. During rehousing it didn't bolt or threat, just toddled into new enclosure. Recently molted and is now around 3" so plenty of time to change yet the A Genic we had of similar size was nothing but an asshole during rehousing. Threat postures , biting of the brush , bolts and all sorts.

Just curious I guess :)
There's a thing about newcomers in the hobby that OBT ,are more for the experienced.I think it just becomes the thing. Now my X had one as a newcomer.Had no problems.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's a thing about newcomers in the hobby that OBT ,are more for the experienced.I think it just becomes the thing. Now my X had one as a newcomer.Had no problems.

Yeah that’s why I made this thread. We had an obt that was shy and wouldn’t threat or eat very much. Enns first T was an Obt. However we do also have a Mm obt usambara that is mental. Only reason he still goes on is he gets so angry he wants to kill anything that enters his enclosure so ends up eating lol

timc

3 Year Member
Hi all
My Nhandu Chromatus female is very shy and very fussy eater.The second worse eater in my colection after my A chalcodes that has not had a meal with me yet.lol
Regards Konstantin
I’m having a similar time with my chromatus. I got her/him about a month ago expecting a little piglet that would probably moult before long. Nope. S/he immediately dig into the sub, hasn’t eaten for me yet, doesn’t come out, just sits in her little burrow. But hey it’s only been a month.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with @T-Baby , I have some nut job Pulchra too!

OBTs I tend to find are not as bad as the rep they are given. Cobalt blue the same, unless you poke the beast of course.

A. Genic...the only time I have had a spider go full on hanging my tongs knawing at them was a a genic.

escape artist...atm a little Euthlus sp parvulas sling I have. Although I also had one that got out of the spider house, and into my garden. Couldn't find the little git anywhere until 30 mins later through the corner of my eye, the little sod had decided to come back where it was warm instead of staying outside on a cold wet UK night! ha ha

The point to all of this, and the reason why @Rs50matt started this great thread is that every spider has it's own personality. You just need to get to know whether they are more likely to cuddle or kill. A bit like women really. :D :D:D

Soulman

Yeah that’s why I made this thread. We had an obt that was shy and wouldn’t threat or eat very much. Enns first T was an Obt. However we do also have a Mm obt usambara that is mental. Only reason he still goes on is he gets so angry he wants to kill anything that enters his enclosure so ends up eating lol
In the book,orange baboons this spider aggressive a poor choice for beginning tarantula keepers..this is by the author who used there experience there resources, there study of spiders.societies,breeders over so many years.ect.But you may have a new pal.how do they come to this.how do they work out the numbers?to put there finding down on paper.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In the book,orange baboons this spider aggressive a poor choice for beginning tarantula keepers..this is by the author who used there experience there resources, there study of spiders.societies,breeders over so many years.ect.But you may have a new pal.how do they come to this.how do they work out the numbers?to put there finding down on paper.

I don’t think you fully understand the reason for the thread. I’m not saying obts are beginner friendly. Just seeing who has individual specimens that go against the grain

-19-

My chalcodes is a straight up roach-killing machine. Otherwise, she's pretty chill and will retreat to her hide if I take the lid off of her enclosure. But toss a dubia in there and she turns into a monster.

Latest posts