• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying it one more time....

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
just ordered fifty mixed dubia, (guaranteed at least one adult pair)
And fifty extra small, (my A hentzi is still super tiny and I have several slings) also a couple hundred mealworms to restart a colony. Fed the others to the chickens due to grain mites.
I am going to do my best to make my T's eat these damn things, I know they'll take meal worms so that's my backup plan.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I couldn't have been happier once I got all of my T's transitioned over to dubia. My P. pulcher was the last to go, he was terrified of them up until two molts ago but it's just so much easier having one type of feeder instead of having to jump around. My only issue is that they don't come in pinhead sizes. They would actually be the perfect feeder if they did. :(

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really!?!!!
they said they were fifty super tiny ones :(
Supposed to be like 1/8 "
Going to be so mad if they don't come that small. Specifically ordered tiny for my slings.
Good thing I got the stupid mealworms.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:(
Maybe they'll take half of one. My little A hentzi doesn't grow. It only molts to tease me. It's still under half a damn inch. :/

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can cut mealworms in half for slings, and I found that super/mealworms attract pests as well. Dubia for juvies and adults, dubia nymphs for 1-2" slings. Baby slings Love lat nymphs. Lats and dubia colonies can feed any invert you got :) Lats are really fast, but can't climb. Use a deep sterlite box, put vent hoes all around the top by the lid. Then, get a slick plastic cup and tap a carton against it, and you will have a cupfull of assorted roaches to feed as you please. A fine pair of little tweezers wont even disturb them when you slowly grab a leg on the fast little ****s. You can even tilt the cup and just brush one into an enclosure. Fine tools, move slow, deep enclosure. In one month of using them and getting used to them, you'll thank me :) No roach breeds like them, they are an endless supply of pinhead sized nymphs, and the adults are loved by all spiders and scorpions;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They wont infest your house unless you start a colony of a thousand, and kick it over...lol. Just use a locking lid type and keep it secure when its open. Ive had a few escapes. No big deal. No infestation. Everyone who uses roaches as feeders should know, dubia and lats will meet every need. Lats are the shiznit.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cut up mealworms all the time. I must be nearly a certified bug butcher by now. :p
All of mine are large enough for the dubia nymphs except that silly A hentzi. Had it forever, it molts, but I promise you the thing is still less then half an inch. :/
This thing is definitely going to outlive me.
I know they say slow growing, but this is crazy. . It occasionally explores it's enclosure and I have that particular one on my hand nearly every time I open if for maintenance as its quick and darts out. Nosy little bugger. No way it even begins to resemble any type of a T yet.
I'm going to consider looking into the lats. I can see where they would trigger a better feeding response but...they still look like house roaches to me.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:/ guess what...my little po-dunk crappie town now has banded crickets for sale. Fat sassy and active. Of freaking course they do! Just gave up driving 45 minutes one way for them!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura You need the Little Kenyan roaches for that tiny T. they go from 2mm to 1/2" adult max size. They're non-climbing and non-invasive. They're a tropical species like the dubia, and my little group hasn't started breeding yet, at least that i can tell, at room temps. I don't have a magnyfing glass to see if there's any eggs or whatever around from them. They're also a soft roach like the lateralis so the Ts get max nutrition from them like a cricket.

I'm ordering a bunch of pinhead lateralis tomorrow. All my Kenyans are max size now and my little tiny L. itabunae needs some food small enough for her to eat.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura You need the Little Kenyan roaches for that tiny T. they go from 2mm to 1/2" adult max size. They're non-climbing and non-invasive. They're a tropical species like the dubia, and my little group hasn't started breeding yet, at least that i can tell, at room temps. I don't have a magnyfing glass to see if there's any eggs or whatever around from them. They're also a soft roach like the lateralis so the Ts get max nutrition from them like a cricket.

I'm ordering a bunch of pinhead lateralis tomorrow. All my Kenyans are max size now and my little tiny L. itabunae needs some food small enough for her to eat.
OK I'm definitely going to get a few of these for Mondo beginning of July. It's approximately the same size as the smallest dubia...have one adult pair and fifty teeny ones a bunch of assorted others. I'm going to leave them be where it's warm and see what happens.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've noticed the Little Kenyans grow fairly quickly. My small group had a dozen or so nymphs and i fed off maybe 6 or 8 of them, now i have 2 or 3 juvies and the rest are adult. I just read the adult males can climb, but i haven't seen any or my adults climbing yet. maybe i have all females? Oh and they're live bearers, they don't do eggs, they need a layer of substrate to dig a "birthing chamber". Probably why mine haven't reproduced lol If your eyes are better than mine the males have longer wings. I can't see wings on any of mine (that i remember anyway) so i've probably got a bunch of adult females.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've found it best to provide at least a thin layer of substrate for all roaches. And Kymura, lateralis ARE house roaches :) They're easily controlled, dont be intimidated by them. Slick plastic neutralizes their speed.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cut up mealworms all the time. I must be nearly a certified bug butcher by now. :p
All of mine are large enough for the dubia nymphs except that silly A hentzi. Had it forever, it molts, but I promise you the thing is still less then half an inch. :/
This thing is definitely going to outlive me.
I know they say slow growing, but this is crazy. . It occasionally explores it's enclosure and I have that particular one on my hand nearly every time I open if for maintenance as its quick and darts out. Nosy little bugger. No way it even begins to resemble any type of a T yet.
I'm going to consider looking into the lats. I can see where they would trigger a better feeding response but...they still look like house roaches to me.

What temp and humidity? Try 80 degrees.

Latest posts