• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trouble feeding aboreals

wade

3 Year Member
I have a P. Irminia and sometimes its a bit difficult to get the prey to her. Its fairly easy when she is on the ground but she spends alot of time up top. I thought about this issue when i built her enclosure but at the time she rarely left her burrow.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She doesnt have some webbing or anything that u can incapacitate the food and leave it out front for her. it will still kick and stuff if u crush its head and put it near her opening. shell find it. also if u can a pic is helpful for us to evaluate ur problem a little better.

wade

3 Year Member
Well she has some webbing but its in a hard place to get to without putting yourself in the line of fire with a teleporter. I have long tongs but ive witnessed how fast she is

Attachments

• 20150911_205114.jpg
    20150911_205114.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

wade

3 Year Member
Her favorite spot now is the top right corner, this picture is right after i built it

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did you have a pic of the current setup with her webbing? If there's an easy spot to get a roach near her the death throws and spasms should draw it out.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Her favorite spot now is the top right corner, this picture is right after i built it
Arboreal spiders will hunt and eat prey. Just throw it in, believe me she will find it. I've caught arboreals digging up worms and roaches. I routinely find spiders with prey in their mouth that haven't been fed in a week or two. We don't have to drop it on their heads;)

wade

3 Year Member
Did you have a pic of the current setup with her webbing? If there's an easy spot to get a roach near her the death throws and spasms should draw it out.

Attachments

• 20151207_191424.jpg
    20151207_191424.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 18

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i would grab the prey by the butt and point it towards her. thats how i do mine. and if u loose it like mass said shell find it.

wade

3 Year Member
Well yesterday it was on the ground in its hide so i fed it then. Ive also noticed pacing around the entire enclosure, a terrestrial burrow, and an aboreal den at the top, choosing a new home maybe?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well yesterday it was on the ground in its hide so i fed it then. Ive also noticed pacing around the entire enclosure, a terrestrial burrow, and an aboreal den at the top, choosing a new home maybe?
Ive always just associated that with spiders being comfortable in their enclosure and possibly hunting. Hard to tell with spiders sometimes, its part of their mystique :)