• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tribolium confusum (confused flour beetles)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Picked up a culture from @proarth614 this week and will use the larvae and pupae to feed smaller slings.

Maintaining the cultures takes little effort, separating the beetles, larvae and pupae from The medium takes a little more effort, but actually more thought than effort.

Here's a pretty straightforward video online

You can easily sift the media with a tea strainer and then I let the beetles just crawl back into the culture once sifted from the flour.

PXL_20220108_185343573.MP.jpg

You can use rice flour wheat flour almost any commercial flour, favoring organic, and add beneficial yeast and nutrients like spirulina to gutload the larvae.

Using calendar reminders and post-it notes I scheduled the replacement of the media every 3 months, which coincides with how often I bake brownies, so look out for those in the future, too.

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I wonder if potato flakes are the same thing as our instant mash. Seems like it.

Moot point. All the UK sellers I can find are closed for the duration or out of stock. Bah!

Latest posts