• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trap Door Spider Enclosures - substrate

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Going with acrylic cylinder enclosures for my Trapdoors. Should have them soon and plan on posting some pictures of them for the group. Regarding substrate, I have found a variety of different opinions regarding soil types for trapdoors. I am planning on going with a sterile soil mix for African Violets. This is composed of coir, sponge rock, and vermiculite. My understanding is that this is a great mix to avoid mold while still allowing for the spiders to burrow. It does not contain peat moss which can encourage molds and fungus gnats. I am also planning on using the drainage system I use for all my inverts (mesh covered layer of clay pellets at the bottom to avoid soil from remaining "wet") to add the humidity back into the soil. Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
Going with acrylic cylinder enclosures for my Trapdoors. Should have them soon and plan on posting some pictures of them for the group. Regarding substrate, I have found a variety of different opinions regarding soil types for trapdoors. I am planning on going with a sterile soil mix for African Violets. This is composed of coir, sponge rock, and vermiculite. My understanding is that this is a great mix to avoid mold while still allowing for the spiders to burrow. It does not contain peat moss which can encourage molds and fungus gnats. I am also planning on using the drainage system I use for all my inverts (mesh covered layer of clay pellets at the bottom to avoid soil from remaining "wet") to add the humidity back into the soil. Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

I found this post interesting as I was wondering about the substrate for the trapdoor spiders myself...Now if I could just find some trapdoors!...Thanks

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I posted some pictures of the enclosures in the "Tarantula Enclosures". Not a lot of trapdoors out there for sale right now. Everyone I talked to who has had them seemed to have tired of never seeing them. They inspired me to make the enclosures before I purchased the spiders. But, man, when they feed it is an awesome sight!

Latest posts