• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tools for drilling holes in Acrylic

Mariskay86

3 Year Member
I am going to be getting some of the AMAC enclosures from the containers store and I will be needing to drill a hole in the acrylic to fit the 1 to 2 inch holes. I am looking for tips on whats tools anyone has used that would work well for this process. Thanks in advance.

reptyls

3 Year Member
I have used a hole saw on a drill press and just GO SLOWLY!! Also you can use a little bit of water to keep the plastic and the drill bit cool. I prefer to use a dremel and very small drill bit to drill a bunch of tiny holes rather than using the vents.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have used a hole saw on a drill press and just GO SLOWLY!! Also you can use a little bit of water to keep the plastic and the drill bit cool. I prefer to use a dremel and very small drill bit to drill a bunch of tiny holes rather than using the vents.
agreed, no need to cut a 1 or 2 inch vent hole in an amac box, just drill small holes, much easier. Any of the metal fabrication bits are fine. You don't want to use a wood bit, they're too dull and will chip and crack the acrylic. you can get a cheap drill bit set at home depot for like $10.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a dremel with a small bit, highest speed setting. I have a tiny bit for slings, and a larger bit for the bigger spiders. Don't buy the cordless dremel, though. I can only finish three enclosures before it runs out of juice and has to be recharged, so I bought the corded one. It's much better, and much more powerful (higher speed, less chance of cracking the plastic, drills 10 times faster:) )

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use a needle for sling enclosures and a metal meat skewer for larger ones, both heated in a flame .

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a needle for sling enclosures and a metal meat skewer for larger ones, both heated in a flame .
i've used soldering irons and wood burning tools also, but i don't like the house stinking of burning plastic for a day or 2 after ;)

For slings i use a 1/16" drill bit, and for the larger Ts a 1/8" in my amac boxes. the 1/16th is small enough even the tiny little 1/4" slings can't crawl through (my rosea has tried and tried lol) and the 1/8" is large enough to allow plenty of ventilation and small enough the larger slings can't escape. On the 2.75" sq amac boxes i put in 4 holes on a side, the 4" sq boxes i do 5. and i do a pattern on the top also if i'm up to it or just randomly drill holes here and there on the top if i'm in a hurry.

jrh3

3 Year Member
i am actually drilling mine now. im just using a dewalt 7/32 drill bit in a regular drill. i know see a dremel would be easier cause my arm is worn out lol. drill gets heavy. i put tape over the acrylic so i can lay out even lines to drill holes all the same, or close to the same.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i am actually drilling mine now. im just using a dewalt 7/32 drill bit in a regular drill. i know see a dremel would be easier cause my arm is worn out lol. drill gets heavy. i put tape over the acrylic so i can lay out even lines to drill holes all the same, or close to the same.
I used to tape the amac boxes but I got lazy and do it all freehand now. I use Dewalt black oxide bits. Never dull in acrylic and less melt on the bit like the cheap generic bits I started with.

Would like titanium but all I can find local have pilot tips for wood drilling. They'd just chip the hell out of acrylic.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
That small? I have been using a thumb tack and I didn't think the holes were big enough to create enough air flow - even when I poked dozens of holes. Good to know.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That small? I have been using a thumb tack and I didn't think the holes were big enough to create enough air flow - even when I poked dozens of holes. Good to know.

The needle is one of those that you use to stitch hand knitted garments up, a little thicker than an ordinary sewing needle.

Latest posts