• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too small for T?

Rose Beatrice

3 Year Member
Hey guys! So, I am brand spanking new to Tarantula keeping. Never even considered it until about 3 months ago. Well, I've been doing a lot of reading and work to make sure that when I do get a T (don't have one yet) that everything will be perfect for her. I'm thinking of purchasing an adult female Grammostola rosea. Now, my question is this. I have an old betta fish aquarium that is 2.6 gallons tall and is 11.8"L X 10.5" W 8.7" H. So, what do you guys think? Is it too small for that particular T? If it is too small, would you guys maybe tell me what your enclosures are like for this particular T? Thanks a million! -Rose

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is no exact scientific formula for this but I have heard of several opinions. An easy one would be to pick an enclosure that could fit four of the mature species comfortably without them touching each other. Others prefer to use smaller enclosures for your slings and as they grow you can upgrade the size appropriately. If the enclosure is too big, the tarantula may have a difficult time catching prey.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good info from Denny Dee.
I think your aquarium is a good size for a juvenile or a sub-adult. For a mature adult, you probably want something slightly bigger. Check out Jamie's Tarantula enclosures. Great acrylic enclosures--but crazy expensive.

Rose Beatrice

3 Year Member
Good info from Denny Dee.
I think your aquarium is a good size for a juvenile or a sub-adult. For a mature adult, you probably want something slightly bigger. Check out Jamie's Tarantula enclosures. Great acrylic enclosures--but crazy expensive.

I've decided on a juvie so I think I'll go with my betta enclosure until a few molts. The people here convinced me that I want a juvie b. albopilosum and I'm more than happy with what i've learned about this spider so far. Thanks so much for the help!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that size enclosure will be fine for a juvie and adult B. albopilosum. Enjoy your new pet! post pics! :D

Latest posts