• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too shallow?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When my brachy vegans turned up it was abit bigger than I was expecting so had to make die with a container that wasn't exactly purpose built. It's fine temporarily but my question is , now that he has started digging he has reached the bottom and there isn't a layer of substrate on the bottom of his burrow. I wouldn't have thought this is an issue but would I be correct in assuming it means his enclosure isn't deep enough? I have to replace it anyway as I don't particularly want to keep him in there but would I need something significantly deeper? It's around 3 inches of substrate

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When my brachy vegans turned up it was abit bigger than I was expecting so had to make die with a container that wasn't exactly purpose built. It's fine temporarily but my question is , now that he has started digging he has reached the bottom and there isn't a layer of substrate on the bottom of his burrow. I wouldn't have thought this is an issue but would I be correct in assuming it means his enclosure isn't deep enough? I have to replace it anyway as I don't particularly want to keep him in there but would I need something significantly deeper? It's around 3 inches of substrate
It would make do with three inches, but it sounds like your Brachy wants more substrate. The young ones sometimes like to dig, particularly vagans and albopilosum. Try excavator clay for a dry species like that, if you want to try something different. Its fun to build starter burrows in it and watch them go to town. Desert hairy scorps are the champs though, they are bulldozers.