• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much humidity after rehousing!

Vlad805

Ok so I just housed my Mexican Red Knee in a larger terrarium and had to add a lot of loose coconut fiber to fill it up (I know I still need to add more to make it safer if she falls from the top). I wanted to test the humidity so I threw in a hydrometer it is saying that the humidity is 87! I had no idea this stuff was so moist. To clarify this is Coco fiber that is the loose kind out of the big bags and not the bricks that you have to hydrate. I need some advice on what to do to fix this. The fiber doesn't feel wet to the touch and my hands feel completely dry after pressing on it. Should I put her back in her old enclosure while this stuff dries? How long would it take to naturally dry out if my house is in the 70s and natural humidity is around 50? Does it pose any threat to the spider while she is in the enclosure? She did a bit of exploring and is now chilling over by the fake cactus in the corner.

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_173004.jpg
    IMG_20190427_173004.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 37

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It should dry out naturally in a few days. Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. You can dry a small amount of substrate in the oven or on the stove top in a frying pan. After it cools spread it on the surface. Your tarantula will appreciate that as the bottom substrate evaporates the extra moisture.

Tnoob

I have a little extra moisture in my obt and golden blue leg. It's also from a rehousing. They both are doing just fine. It will be some time before I fill the water dish. I think that's about all we can do. I've noticed that patients seems to be the name of the game here. I could be wrong, but as long as I don't see a death curl I'll be fine.

Latest posts