• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too Moist?

Crax

Well... I figured since there seems to be debate and people have certainly get heated. While others cheer them on, I thought it would be a great topic of discussion.

What is too moist?

Should I dry out my slings?

Should I dry out my enclosures while my tarantula's are molting?

Should I remove a water source to dry out the enclosure to get rid of mites and other pesky little buggers?

Personally, I'd say no. Your tarantulas need water to live; slings need it moist, and a molting tarantula does far better in a bit more humid environment. Not much though. Buy a humidifier if you're really concerned so you don't turn your enclosures into swamps.

Temperature and the environment you live in plays a factor too. There are many things you can do to help alleviate the humidity factor.

And if by chance you get too many cleaners or even mites, change the substrate. Mites are not fun and can potentially be fatal, and mold is always a health concern for you and your widdle buddy.

I'm hoping to hear more ideas to help maintain moisture in super dry enclosures. Exo-terras are a good example of that. Great ventilation, poor moisture retention.

I have a plethora of spring tails traveling from one enclosure to another. Takes them a while but they do. Trying to get rid of them. The last enclosure I just moistened a bit because someone is in between a not so premolt and a premolt. Teddy has buried themselves for a molt but still eating. You can see the little white specks of tails in their enclosure.

Attachments

• dry 2.jpg
    dry 2.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 47
  • dry.jpg
    dry.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 47
  • 157585917692721633.jpg
    157585917692721633.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 46

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Well... I figured since there seems to be debate and people have certainly get heated. While others cheer them on, I thought it would be a great topic of discussion.

What is too moist?

Should I dry out my slings?

Should I dry out my enclosures while my tarantula's are molting?

Should I remove a water source to dry out the enclosure to get rid of mites and other pesky little buggers?

Personally, I'd say no. Your tarantulas need water to live; slings need it moist, and a molting tarantula does far better in a bit more humid environment. Not much though. Buy a humidifier if you're really concerned so you don't turn your enclosures into swamps.

Temperature and the environment you live in plays a factor too. There are many things you can do to help alleviate the humidity factor.

And if by chance you get too many cleaners or even mites, change the substrate. Mites are not fun and can potentially be fatal, and mold is always a health concern for you and your widdle buddy.

I'm hoping to hear more ideas to help maintain moisture in super dry enclosures. Exo-terras are a good example of that. Great ventilation, poor moisture retention.

I have a plethora of spring tails traveling from one enclosure to another. Takes them a while but they do. Trying to get rid of them. The last enclosure I just moistened a bit because someone is in between a not so premolt and a premolt. Teddy has buried themselves for a molt but still eating. You can see the little white specks of tails in their enclosure.

First, we are all on the same team. I think there was a miscommunication because you said that you had so many spring tails that they were bothering your t’s and then later said that it’s mostly around the water dishes.
Personally, I think you are doing everything fine. I have always kept a water dish in all of my enclosures and kept the substrate dry unless it is a moisture dependent species. I keep a digital temp/humidity gauge in my room and I pay close attention to the level in the entire room rather than each specific enclosure. Fortunately, in 10 years I have never had in issue with spring tails so I can only imagine your frustration.

Crax

First, we are all on the same team. I think there was a miscommunication because you said that you had so many spring tails that they were bothering your t’s and then later said that it’s mostly around the water dishes.
Personally, I think you are doing everything fine. I have always kept a water dish in all of my enclosures and kept the substrate dry unless it is a moisture dependent species. I keep a digital temp/humidity gauge in my room and I pay close attention to the level in the entire room rather than each specific enclosure. Fortunately, in 10 years I have never had in issue with spring tails so I can only imagine your frustration.

They do stress my slings and juvies but because they live in the water dish area. Meaning under it, around it, and so forth, it's a problem. But that's what this thread isn't for (discussing matters from another thread). It's to find out if anyone has any ideas how to keep a very dry enclosure somewhat moist for my more moisture dependent species.

Extra info:

I do keep a humidifier and some days I jack it up to 60 percent humidity 2 times a week (mon och fri) with 2 fans on it to circulate the air in the room but the other 5 days, keep 40 percent humidity. Like I said before, it's winter here. You feel like a dehydrated mummy just from walking to and from the store.

I also keep 26c during the day because I have mostly slings and juvies and drop it to 25c during the night.

What I'm getting at, those factors above are what lets the s.tails thrive. With or without, a moist enclosure.

What I would love to do is get rid of them but that's not going to happen too soon. Will be another massive rehouse project come summer.

Back on subject: I want to be able to not be so dependent on my humidifier. That's why I actually started this thread.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First off tarantulas need water within to molt (consumption). They push water between the new and old exoskeletons to slide out. They only need a water dish/food for this. Humidity in the enclosure/soil has nothing to do with the molting process. A sling on bone dry soil is perfectly fine as long as it has a water dish/moss. I keep my 100s of slings on dry substrate. Wet soil and stuffy enclosures are not a good thing for slings and often cause problems with many keepers.
Also another helpful tip, a water dish should move to a dry spot every other time you water to avoid oversaturation and mold.

Latest posts