• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too late for my MM Megaphobema robustum?

Spidepaw

I've been keeping Ts for a while but in what I'm told is an unusual stroke of luck pretty much all of my slings in the past have matured into females... except my Megaphobema robustum sling I got about 6 years ago which matured as male this year. It is the first MM in my collection and I was never particularly interested in breeding and never looked into it so did not realize they have a time limit after their mature molt to find a female. I more or less continued business as usual after his mature molt and didn't mark the date but I am reasonably certain it was more than 4 months ago and I only began to look into MM behavior more seriously as he recently began to refuse to eat.

Anything I can do for him at this point? And if no, how much longer does he have?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hard to tell. I had a stirmi that died 3 weeks after his ultimate molt and I had a metallica that lived for over one year after it matured. Good luck. Has he produced a sperm web yet?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Enjoy him as long as he lasts. You can try loaning him out, just disclose his maturity age (over 4 months) Simone may want to give him a try, many may not.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mature males don't eat much. They also have a hard time grabbing onto the prey with those pedipalps. I'll use bamboo tongs to hold the prey for them or prekill it. Dehydration is a bigger concern with Mature males then eating. I put extra water dishes in with mine, or one really big bowl. As for breeding, as a breeder I wouldn't bother at this point. I have 2 year mature males still making sperm webs, duds. Just enjoy him while he's still around. :T: