• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TOO BIG?

DEXTER107

Tarantula Club Member
I just saw that if your T climbs the walls a lot, it could be a sign of stress and that the enclosure is too big. I’m not sure if it’s excessive but my Mex Red Knee is on the walls a lot. Do you think my 16X12X6 is too big? I can provide a picture. I do have a 12X8X6 I can rehouse. The T is about 3 1/2“. Thanks.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just saw that if your T climbs the walls a lot, it could be a sign of stress and that the enclosure is too big. I’m not sure if it’s excessive but my Mex Red Knee is on the walls a lot. Do you think my 16X12X6 is too big? I can provide a picture. I do have a 12X8X6 I can rehouse. The T is about 3 1/2“. Thanks.

That does seem a bit big. I would house your juvenile in the smaller one and let it molt a couple of times before housing it in the larger one. :)

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Spiders climb and explore, some do it more then others. You just need to give them less ceiling and more floor space for these over active spiders.
I agree to this. I have a 5" T. apophysis that is just all over the place in a 12x12x12.

I'd like to add that this is another good reason not to use mesh tops, to have the correct substrate to top depth, and nothing to fall on. I have seen all 5 of my Theraphosa on the top upside down, many times.

DEXTER107

Tarantula Club Member
I agree to this. I have a 5" T. apophysis that is just all over the place in a 12x12x12.

I'd like to add that this is another good reason not to use mesh tops, to have the correct substrate to top depth, and nothing to fall on. I have seen all 5 of my Theraphosa on the top upside down, many times.
Thanks. I also do not care/use mesh for safety and other reasons. Luckily my T does not go on the ceiling. I was happy he finally entered his hide (after two weeks).

DEXTER107

Tarantula Club Member
That does seem a bit big. I would house your juvenile in the smaller one and let it molt a couple of times before housing it in the larger one. :)
Thank you! I think for now, I’m going to wait a bit.

Attachments

• 44948947-84D0-41E8-9CC3-EE503E061A0A.jpeg
    44948947-84D0-41E8-9CC3-EE503E061A0A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I think that is one of the wonderful things about keeping tarantulas. Sometimes they will surprise you. And figuring out why they are doing something not so obvious is another gift.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Saw your pic, seems busy but fine

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I say Weather! I've had a few climbing lately that usually don't. High temps and humidity here. Different atmospheric pressures(?)

John Moon

Hi everyone , Im new to this forum but
I bought my first T in 1986 a Brachypelma Hamorii "Smithi " in the old days. I bought the spider as for some silly reason I was terrified of them but after watching one move around I realised it was the unexpected quick movement that makes one jump so I thought I would give one a try. Totally Cured Me.
I kept her for 8 years and was moving house so I sold it, it was bought by the Isle of Wight Zoo UK and used on the poster on the ferrys, theirs had unfortunatly died and they wanted a replacement.
I could go on and on but I now have started again with 4 Ts and quite interested in what people say about enclosure size as my first girl was in a 90x 30x30cm (3ft x 12 x12inches) fish tank and on fish tank gravel ( What was recomended by the newly formed BTS ) She would move about all over the place in the night and im sure to this day that if she had freedom of the house she would have used it ? Afterall there are no boundaires in the wild and as others have said they will explore wherever they want!

Latest posts