• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too Big?

mdbs

Hello,
I'm very new and green to tarantulas. I've wanted to get one for a while and (thought) I was doing some good research. I finally made the jump and got this wonderful little Pink Toe. I took a friend who has a handful of tarantulas with me to make sure I got all that I needed.

Well, as it turns out - the more I read on here - I may have gotten way, way, way.... way to big of a tank. I got what my friend had suggested to me and decorated it accordingly. Hunting hasn't seemed to be affected, I dropped three crickets in the night I got the tank set up and over the course of two days, they have been eaten. Two for sure because I saw it.

I've left a lot of open space on the ground and I've tried to make places up top to hide. I've also got a medium-sized hallow log that it has gone into a few times. No web yet, though.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm new to this and want to do right by this tarantula. I'm used to dogs, horses, and birds. Don't judge too harshly...

IMG_2159.jpg
IMG_2158.jpg
IMG_2156.jpg
IMG_2157.jpg

Colorado Ts

I think your enclosure looks amazing. Your use of space and the transitions from foliage to substrate is great. But to determine if this enclosure is going to work for your spider...we'll need more information.

What species of tarantula do you have?

What size is the tarantula?

Briefly describe your routine in caring for your tarantula.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
You can see the spider in the top right corner above the cholla wood. I would say that’s a little large. It looks like your t is kind of stress curled. It is a wonderful enclosure and I think it has a ton of anchor points but I think she may feel a bit more comfortable and safer in a smaller enclosure.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hello there. I'm not sure about those double lights at the top, they probably give off too much heat and run the risk of cooking the spider, which as FishermanSteve has pointed out, is already hanging out at the top. Far too close to them.
Tarantulas tend to get too near to heat and end up dehydrating = death

Rmwells

Hello,
I'm very new and green to tarantulas. I've wanted to get one for a while and (thought) I was doing some good research. I finally made the jump and got this wonderful little Pink Toe. I took a friend who has a handful of tarantulas with me to make sure I got all that I needed.

Well, as it turns out - the more I read on here - I may have gotten way, way, way.... way to big of a tank. I got what my friend had suggested to me and decorated it accordingly. Hunting hasn't seemed to be affected, I dropped three crickets in the night I got the tank set up and over the course of two days, they have been eaten. Two for sure because I saw it.

I've left a lot of open space on the ground and I've tried to make places up top to hide. I've also got a medium-sized hallow log that it has gone into a few times. No web yet, though.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm new to this and want to do right by this tarantula. I'm used to dogs, horses, and birds. Don't judge too harshly...

View attachment 42282View attachment 42283View attachment 42284View attachment 42285
Your setup looks quite nice. I have attached pictures of my setup. He has never made a tube web and I've had him a year, but I think it is because there are plenty of places to hide. As they are arboreal, they need height as opposed to width. I'd suggest getting a piece or two of bark and leaning it against the glass (it'll provide a spot to climb and hide). Good luck!

Attachments

• 20191207_074454.jpg
    20191207_074454.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20191207_074247.jpg
    20191207_074247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20191207_074415.jpg
    20191207_074415.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Rmwells

Hello there. I'm not sure about those double lights at the top, they probably give off too much heat and run the risk of cooking the spider, which as FishermanSteve has pointed out, is already hanging out at the top. Far too close to them.
Tarantulas tend to get too near to heat and end up dehydrating = death
I only use the red light which keeps him between 72 and 80 (depending on how warm the heat in the house is). I have had him in this set up for a year