• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tong feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why tong feed? I've always preferred to let them hunt as they would in the wild.
Amen to that.....boring for me to keep saying this to members who have seen this before but remember when they tried to feed a goat to the T rex in Jurrasic park and the immortal line...'T rex doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt'....its the same for your Tarantula, so ditch the tongs and just let them do what they do best :):T:

Tnoob

I'm concerned about the health and safety of my T. My first will be an "aggressive species" so I think I would prefer to use a brush on the webbing to get its attention, and just throw the food in there. I feel it's best to minimize contact with anthropodae.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm concerned about the health and safety of my T. My first will be an "aggressive species" so I think I would prefer to use a brush on the webbing to get its attention, and just throw the food in there. I feel it's best to minimize contact with anthropodae.

No need to attract its attention, the food will do that if you throw it against the web

Tnoob

No need to attract its attention, the food will do that if you throw it against the web
Yeah, my above statement was meant as an "at most" situation. I don't really care to. I would stress out if I had a giant pair of tongs fallowing me around, right?

Luna

3 Year Member
It would be about as expected considering that my first will be an old world. yep

With my Cobalt Blue, I would lift the lid about three inches, then just pop in the Dubia for her to eat! Haha no chances when they're known for defensive mood swings and speed!;)

Tnoob

With my Cobalt Blue, I would lift the lid about three inches, then just pop in the Dubia for her to eat! Haha no chances when they're known for defensive mood swings and speed!;)
See, my thought is, "there is a thin line between bravery, and stupidity".

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Plastic dip peels and may be toxic depending on what brand you used. Like most people said here it's a unnecessary risk to tong feed. Until you have a tarantula that molts and loses its fangs or just snaps one off then you may understand that it's not that cool.

Tnoob

I just asked if anyone dip the ends of their tong in plastic dip?
Latex should be chemically inert. There's not need to cover tongs in some kind of plastic. They sell a brand that has it already.

Louis

3 Year Member
Has anyone dip their tongs tips in plastic dip, to protect their spiders when feeding?
Yes I have and it works great to hold on to a roach. People are so quick to be high and mighty standing on their thrones talking down to you for asking the question. Not all but a lot of the comments felt like that to me.
I use my tongs to put roaches in their habitat. I also have fed one of my Ts before, big fricking deal. Not all Ts do hunting too, some just wait to ambush their prey. I am far some expert talking here. I have a dozen Ts for a couple years now, again, no expert just my opinion. Dipping the tips works great!

Tnoob

Yes I have and it works great to hold on to a roach. People are so quick to be high and mighty standing on their thrones talking down to you for asking the question. Not all but a lot of the comments felt like that to me.
I use my tongs to put roaches in their habitat. I also have fed one of my Ts before, big fricking deal. Not all Ts do hunting too, some just wait to ambush their prey. I am far some expert talking here. I have a dozen Ts for a couple years now, again, no expert just my opinion. Dipping the tips works great!
I mean, that's cool and everything. Not trying to put anyone down, but why dip the tongs yourself? Exo-Terra has them premanufactured, for around 10 bucks. That would probably just be easier. My very first feeding of P. Murinus, was done by hand last night. I'm thinking maybe 2nd or third instar? I could be wrong about the age, for sure, but it's about the size of a nickel. So, I don't know. I am certainly not an expert either. I'm more interested in finding correct information, than trying to tell people what I think I know, when I am obviously a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts