• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To Heat or Not to Heat

MCARBO

3 Year Member
I have read contrasting facts on heat for a chilean rose/ gold fuzz.
I know that lighting is a no no...
I have read to keep a small heat pad under half the tank- and now I have read NO heat pad at all.
Any advice?
Right now, my little guy has had a half a heat pad for 2 weeks since we have had him, and seems to have no preference in the tank at all... he stations himself all over the place at different times.
I live in California, and our place is roughly 70-75 degrees all the time.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
a little heat won't hurt, but do not put the heat pad under the tank. Put it on the side. But No Heat is not nessasary. Just keep it out of the sixties and your ok.
I keep my spider room at 80/85 at all times but that's just me.

MCARBO

3 Year Member
I moved the heat pad off the bottom and put it on the side, and now he's doin this, and touching the glass and heat pad. (see pic)
Is that ok?
Wouldn't she be more safe if the heat source was on the bottom, beneath all of the substrate... (?)

Attachments

• pheat_opt.jpg
    pheat_opt.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 311

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
By placing it underneath you run the risk of heating too much of the tank at once and not leaving him some where he can get away from the heat. The glass and substrate can hold an amazing amount of warmth and lead to overheating and dehydration.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It should be outside the tank. I'm sorry for not being more clear. but a heat mat should never be inside a tank.

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
AHH I was just wondering this, awesome. My house is much colder so I know he needs some warmth. We might stay in the 70's maybe.. I know I'm always freezing, so I was looking on a heat pad but, as he said, many say to use them, some say dont, some say bottem, some say side. SO! Side, Outside, gotcha!

laura916

3 Year Member
:confused: So i did the same thing with the heat pad.. the store told me to put it at the bottom so i did and now its stuck there and i cant remove it to put it on the side. I have also been unplugging it during the day while its hot/warm in the house and plugging it back in at night.

MCARBO

3 Year Member
Yeah... Pet Shops said many things about tarantula care I have discovered to be false. I hope your pad is at least only on one side of the tank- should it be too hot... then she can move away from it! You may be better off never plugging it in -and just affix a new one to the side.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Honestly, if you're comfortable in a T-shirt then your T's are fine too. I wouldn't even bother with plugging it in.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I agree with Kenny. Heating isn't an issue if your house isn't tooooo cold. I personally hate heating pads though. They are highly uncontrollable. I prefer to use a low wattage heat lamp for my inverts. With that being said, placing the typical fixture you get at pet stores directly ontop of the enclosure isn't a good idea being able to raise and lower it would be best. As far as lamps drying everything out and heat pads not doing this, I'm not sure. Any heat source would dry out the enclosure more than not.

On the subject of using heat, I say do it! But do it right. Inverts need heat for energy production. From what Stan has written, molting issues seem to be from lack of energy, not lack of humidity. Adding heat will allow your tarantula to have the energy it's body needs for certain life processes.

Anyone else read Stan's articles on heat and humidity? What are your thoughts?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

RobnBig

3 Year Member
I have an infrared heat bulb in like a desk lamp that I can move further/closer ect. My Curly Hair could care less but my Fire Leg loves it! Turn it on and he finds the warmest spot. I dont have it on for very long though, I'm not sure if he'll move before he goes up in smoke. I dont even bother putting one on Big Shirley (Curly Hair). I'm new though so could be all wrong.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I leave mine on 24/7. My house is climate controlled but I still take precautions with the heat lamp. It essentially raises the heat in the far side of the terrarium 1-2 degrees while raising the area directly under it 8-10 degrees with the height it is placed. Both of them also have a deep burrow to utilize in the cool side if they'd like to cool down further, as well as plant cover in the warm end for security while "basking". My MF rose Athena is constantly under the main area of the lamp lately, hopefully making them eggs :). They both were under it nearly all day for weeks when they were nearing molting as well as throughout the whole process.