• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tj New to hobby-Intro

aragog27_tj

3 Year Member
Hi, my name is TJ I am new to this site and I'm kind of a beginner in the hobby of tarantula keeping. I purchased my first tarantula's in 2016 and now I have 5 of them and I raised them all from slings. I have a Male Avicularia Urticans, Female P. Regalis, i believe a female G. Pulchripes (Chaco golden knee), unknown sex of a GBB but it's about 2-3 inches and I have a juvenile P. Metallica sex unknown yet but I hope it's a female! But I would like the help of more experienced hobbyist that's why I joined this forum and to gain knowledge and tips on breeding and dealing with angry spiders lol. My goal is to own the Boss Level Tarantula which I would believe to be the Almighty OBT!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aragog27. You chose a friendly fun forum. Impressive T collection already. Our moderator @Enn49 is awesome and wise. She began her passion with an OBT and a Pokie. She’d be a great source of information. As she would say, “We love photos!”

aragog27_tj

3 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcome I'm very interested learning new things from experienced hobbyist! I do have a question though, I just had my avicularia urticans molt and this is when I found out he was a Male his hooks and the bulbs on his pedipalps are finally showing, does this mean he is mature too breed or should I wait? I acquired him in 2016 when he was a sling.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your Welcome, Aragog27_tj. Bulbous pedipalps is a sure sign he is mature. Tibial hooks, while not present on all species, also gives away maturity.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for the warm welcome I'm very interested learning new things from experienced hobbyist! I do have a question though, I just had my avicularia urticans molt and this is when I found out he was a Male his hooks and the bulbs on his pedipalps are finally showing, does this mean he is mature too breed or should I wait? I acquired him in 2016 when he was a sling.

He's ready to breed as soon as you can find him a female. You can either sell him, loan him out for a share of the sack or buy a mature female and breed him yourself.

aragog27_tj

3 Year Member
He's ready to breed as soon as you can find him a female. You can either sell him, loan him out for a share of the sack or buy a mature female and breed him yourself.
Thank you very much, can I find somebody to loan him too on this forum or have someone lend me a female or if I can buy one and sell the slings here. Also how I know that he has made a sperm web I want to make sure his pedipalps are full before I breed him lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry about asking for advice, better to ask than try to muddle through. We've all been beginners at some time, I still have to ask at times.
Yes, the Marketplace is the place to go.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@aragog27_tj i have to ask, if you're wanting to breed your avic, are you prepared to care for hundreds of little slings if you get a sac?

aragog27_tj

3 Year Member
Hi there :)
YpKkqZI.gif
Lol that’s funny, hey nice to meet you

Latest posts