1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips on superworms please

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by Steve S., Apr 26, 2018.

1. Steve S.

Steve S. New Member

I recently got a medium-sized female pink toe who absolutely loves big fat juicy crickets. So yesterday I got her a few superworms just for something different. I put a worm directly on the substrate (coco fiber) near the spider and the worm buried itself in no time. I placed another worm in a shallow dish and the damned thing crawled over the side and buried itself too. If this keeps up pretty soon I'll have something that resembles an ant farm. ;)

Should I just stick with crickets for now? I did get a couple of pinkie mice so maybe I could try that. Any suggestions on the worms? I do, however, like to fish so at least the worms are not a complete waste.
    :T:
    Sent from my Commodore 64 running on Windoze 95
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

Crush their heads before you throw them in. They should still wriggle for a bit.

You’re going to want to dig up those buried superworms. They’ve been known to chomp on molting tarantulas.
    Steve S. likes this.
  3. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

Yeah, like @Metalman2004 said crush their heads. On a side note a few of my Avics won't eat worms.
    Kymura, Dustin Amack and Steve S. like this.
  4. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

I advise against using mice, there is no need for them to be fed to tarantulas. Superworms are fine if the heads are smashed (that is all i use for my larger specimens. If your Avic does not take to the superworms, stick to crickets or try your luck with dubia roaches.
    Kymura and Steve S. like this.
  5. Steve S.

Steve S. New Member

Mine hasn't molted since I've had her but digging up the worms gives me a chance to clean her tank again. And like Arachnoclown said, it's possible she doesn't like worms.

:T:
    Sent from my Commodore 64 running on Windoze 95
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Kymura likes this.
  6. yeahhtrue

yeahhtrue Active Member

I've been using worms lately as they're much easier to keep than crickets. But I have the same problem with burrowing. People say to crush the heads. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but either I don't crush the head enough and the worm still burrows, or I crush the head too much and the worm is dead and hence does not get a feeding response from my Ts.
    Kymura and Steve S. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted