• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tipping

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So since i'm traveling and eating out for almost every meal i saw a discussion on Facebook a friend of mine started. She was all butt hurt that someone didn't tip what she thought they should at her favorite restaurant.

Story is she was there for breakfast and there was a large group in the restaurant that spent roughly $100 (no idea how she knows what their bill was) on their food and then dropped $2 on the table for the tip.

Being the nosy scene making biatch that she is she called them on it in the middle of the restaurant. Then went on facebook to complain to all her "friends" lol

My response was for her to shut up about it, i'm sure the restaurant enjoyed the scene she made. And where does she get off telling people how much they're supposed to tip? Was she at the table to see if they enjoyed the food? or the service was good? Some of the repsonse to mine were that we should tip regardless, it's how the servers make their wages.

So to stir up more trouble i called them idiots, you don't tip for bad service. Right? I don't give a damn that tips are how the servers (and sometimes the cooks are included in tips) are how they make their living. If they want a tip their service has to warrant a tip. Tipping for bad service because the food was good or vice versa just tells them it's acceptable. In those cases where i have great food and bad service i'll call the manager over and ask them if the cook gets part of the tip. If they do then i'll tell them the cook should get all of this tip since the service sucked (or vice versa) If the cook isn't receiving any of the tip then i'll tip based on the service, good gets a tip, bad doesn't.

What do you guys do?

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
I tip based on service, for sure. When I get a good server, they always get a really good tip. I won't pay someone to mess up my order without fixing the issue, be unattentive/unavailable or rude.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So since i'm traveling and eating out for almost every meal i saw a discussion on Facebook a friend of mine started. She was all butt hurt that someone didn't tip what she thought they should at her favorite restaurant.

Story is she was there for breakfast and there was a large group in the restaurant that spent roughly $100 (no idea how she knows what their bill was) on their food and then dropped $2 on the table for the tip.

Being the nosy scene making biatch that she is she called them on it in the middle of the restaurant. Then went on facebook to complain to all her "friends" lol

My response was for her to shut up about it, i'm sure the restaurant enjoyed the scene she made. And where does she get off telling people how much they're supposed to tip? Was she at the table to see if they enjoyed the food? or the service was good? Some of the repsonse to mine were that we should tip regardless, it's how the servers make their wages.

So to stir up more trouble i called them idiots, you don't tip for bad service. Right? I don't give a damn that tips are how the servers (and sometimes the cooks are included in tips) are how they make their living. If they want a tip their service has to warrant a tip. Tipping for bad service because the food was good or vice versa just tells them it's acceptable. In those cases where i have great food and bad service i'll call the manager over and ask them if the cook gets part of the tip. If they do then i'll tell them the cook should get all of this tip since the service sucked (or vice versa) If the cook isn't receiving any of the tip then i'll tip based on the service, good gets a tip, bad doesn't.

What do you guys do?
Some people wont tip period. When I worked as a server I had people burn me on tips due to them being cheap. I never gave bad service. But as a customer i will give a crappy tip for bad service. Also most of the time the cooks dont get any part of the tips. They get paid a wage. But if the food was cooked bad. I'll make a complaint to the management but first will see how the server handles the issue.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member

What do you guys do?
had to type again cuz it didnt work first time but I'm very picky about giving tips.. if the waitress is a jerk or lets my drink get to empty before I get my refill then the tip she gets is from the manager who I complained to on my way out

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

What do you guys do?
Also, I don't pay attention to what other people tip. Others peoples money isnt my bussinness unless they are paying me that is ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I never tip bad wait staff. Good wait staff get good tips. Some of those folks bust their asses, and do depend on tips. If i get so-so service, and my waitress is obviously busy, she still gets a good tip. Good food service workers are under appreciated..can u imagine how many straight up assholes they deal with on a daily basis? Its all about ME ME ME these days, with no allowance for circumstances liked packed restaurants, under staffing, etc. Some folks just like to *****, too.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If the food is good but the service was poor the waitress gets no tip. I've called the manager to my table JUST for them to bring the cook to me so I can hand him/her the tip PERSONALLY and vice versa. I even tip the boy that collects the dirty dishes off our table.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't tip bad service but ill occasionally tip mediocre service if they are very busy, tips aren't compulsory so they kinda need to earn one :)
Exaclty. tip has to be earned. One of the arguments from a different friend on facebook was that they tip all the time because that's how servers earn their livings. That's not a tip then, it's a fee or a wage. I posted the definition of a tip to them and was told they unfriended me lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tips are by no means compulsory, but I do pay attention to details like a full house and wait staff numbers. When you find a place that makes good food, and is known for it, walking into a busy joint and being anything less then very patient is foolish. Personally I'd rob banks before getting into the food service industry..I tried it for a month when I was 16..no thanks.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tips are by no means compulsory, but I do pay attention to details like a full house and wait staff numbers. When you find a place that makes good food, and is known for it, walking into a busy joint and being anything less then very patient is foolish. Personally I'd rob banks before getting into the food service industry..I tried it for a month when I was 16..no thanks.
i did my stint in the food service industry also back in my first round of college days. server, host, bus boy, dishwasher, everything but cook lol they didn't trust me on the grill ;) I got tips, and i got stiffed, it's part of the job. never once did i think i deserved to be tipped.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I've waited tables for ten years now, I'm part time (finally) but supported myself on tips for all that time. I personally, rely on my charm and personality. I am friendly enough and caring enough that when I mess up people know that I'm genuinely doing what I can to remedy the problem. I do my job well, listen to my guest's needs and do what I can to accommodate them. In most of the restaurants I've worked in the servers tip out the bartenders and the hosts based on SALES, not the actual tips. This means regardless of what you earn as a tip you need to tip out based on that check. On low checks when somebody leaves nothing or 10% it's not that big of a deal but when the check is high enough tipping out 3% adds up and having to declare the income on a minimum of 10% of your sales and pay taxes on that makes it a little painful when somebody stiffs you or doesn't tip well. Years ago I had to work one Easter morning, we were soooo slow, I had one table and they tipped me nothing, I did a great job wished them well and told them to have a great day. After that since we were slow my manager asked me if I wanted to go home and I said of course, after that why would I want to stay? I ended up OWING the restaurant money because I had to tip out. If it were a busier day and I had more tables it wouldn't have been such a big deal though.

I understand it's the servers responsibility to make sure the guest has a good experience and gets what they need but I don't think it should be the guests decision if the server gets paid for their job that day. I've had awesome days where everything went well and I have also had awful days where things were outside of my control. Even got the phone call that my grandfather passed away in the middle of a busy shift and my manager made me stay until we slowed down meaning I needed to put a fake smile on and give the guests a good experience regardless of what was going on in my life.

Having been a server for so long you've got to really really eff up for me to tip less than 20%. I would love to lower the wages of all the retail employees that waste my time. Not to mention I know from experience that if I recognize a table it usually means they didn't tip me well last time. We do remember you, we do recognize you and you do get treated accordingly on your next visit :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's just it. Around here servers get a base wage and percentage of tips. They get paid regardless of service, the tip is extra if they do well.

Little story here while i try and stay awake in a meeting ;)

Yesterday i had to drive to Boise to work in this office. I spent the aftertoon and evening at the hotel, ate late lunch and dinner in the lounge. The hotel is sold out, so the lounge was probably as busy or more than i've ever seen it with 1 server and 1 bartender in the late afternoon 4pm-ish. So i know the food and drinks will be slow, common sense right?

Table next to me came in and sat down after i did. I got my drink, extra dirty vodka martini, and they goofed and made it with gin. no big i told the server when she came over to take the drink order from the table next to me that just sat down. That table orders, she picks up my drink, 10 minutes or so later she brings their drinks and takes the food order. Still no drink for me. So when she leaves the other table i remind her. she apologizes. still no drink. not even a food order for me yet. 20 minutes or so later i remind her again, i get my drink a few minutes after and order food. food takes a good 30 minutes or more to arrive and the fries are cold.

This is the type of service that I will not tip. She screwed up my drink, but she made it right, so that's a wash. my sandwich was a cold sandwich but the fries were cold by the time i got it, so that's a strike, plus the extreme wait times and being ignored/skpped over all factor in to the 0.00 i wrote on the tip line.

So dinner comes around and i'm starving. I figure i'll walk down to the lounge again see if it's busy, if it is i'll go out. The lounge is maybe 3/4 full, not packed like earlier. So i sit down. A server i'm familiar with comes over, chit chats while taking my drink order. Woops, i get a dirty martini with gin again (don't they know vodka is superior?!?) so after she takes care of some of the other tables i call her over and tell her it's gin, not vodka. within 5 minutes i have a new drink, she left the gin one there just in case i wanted to sip it while i waited, then took my food order, so i get my appetizer. While i'm waiting for the appetizer the remaining tables fill up with a couple large groups. So again 1 server 1 bartender but now they have 1 person from the check in desk helping out as needed. I get my appetizer, another martini. when i'm finished i sit for i'd guess maybe 5 minutes before she's back and asks if i want dinner and a drink. i order dinner another martini and wait for the food. maybe 10 minutes later she comes back says she sorry the NY Strip steak is sold out, she can get me a filet mignon (tomorrow's special) instead. So i say sure, order another drink and wait. even with a packed house i have my food in about 20 -25 minutes. while waiting for the food, almost every time the server walked by she asked if i was good, needed anything, etc. I get my food. i eat. i order desert. 10 minutes or so after i order desert she stops at my table and apologizes i haven't got my cheesecake yet. She leaves, comes back minutes later, and says "Sorry, the kitchen was slammed, so i made this up myself for you, i hope the strawberries are ok?" and that was fine, i didn't specify any fruit on the cheese cake so that was an extra bonus.

That's the kind of service that should get a tip. i spent just under 100 on that meal with the 4 martinis, and because she went out of her way with me, and i watched her do the same with the tables near me, she got a great tip, even after bringing me the wrong drink. ;)

If the first server would have stopped at my table while i was waiting just to let me know it was on the way, or see how i was doing, i may have given her a tip then, just cause she tried.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Bad service is 0-10% based accordingly. Normal/ fair gets 15 and great service gets 20-25%.

What I don't understand are the fast-casual places with no servers and people being paid a regular wage that still ask for tips. Why is there a tip jar at the end of the Chipotle and Freebirds line? Starbucks makes a bit of sense if you drink $7 coffees, but I'm definitely tipping on my plain black coffee.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bad service is 0-10% based accordingly. Normal/ fair gets 15 and great service gets 20-25%.

What I don't understand are the fast-casual places with no servers and people being paid a regular wage that still ask for tips. Why is there a tip jar at the end of the Chipotle and Freebirds line? Starbucks makes a bit of sense if you drink $7 coffees, but I'm definitely tipping on my plain black coffee.
We have a few mom n pop type fast-casual places with a tip jar by the register and a tip line on the card receipt. They take all the tips at the end of each shift and split them with everyone working that shift. their wages aren't lowered to allow for tips like in a "real" restaurant. Where it's 90% high school kids working in those places here, i think it's a good idea. I don't mind helping a struggling high school kid get a couple bucks extra. I remember those days ;)