• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tiny B.Vagans sling about to moult I think :D

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Judging by the black shiny abdomen and the weird way she's sitting, I think she's about to moult.
She's been hidden away for a few days in her hide and has been refusing to eat so I think she's due.
e8f5defd2d04045564bfede21745895d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
:( false alarm, she did that on purpose i'm positive. She just sat there like that for a bit and went back into her hide, little ****!. I really had my hopes up because I want her to catch up with the rest. My zebra knee only has a small hole at the entrance to her hide now so i'm hoping she's blocking it up in preparation for a moult, my P.Vittata has already outgrown her.

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
:( false alarm, she did that on purpose i'm positive. She just sat there like that for a bit and went back into her hide, little ****!. I really had my hopes up because I want her to catch up with the rest. My zebra knee only has a small hole at the entrance to her hide now so i'm hoping she's blocking it up in preparation for a moult, my P.Vittata has already outgrown her.
It will still moult, just give it time and keep it humid.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sure you'll get that moult soon but Ts all grow at different rates according to species and sex. I have an E. sp red that is 3 years old and is less than a third the size of my P. ornata that I bought 9 months ago at 1st instar.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
It will still moult, just give it time and keep it humid.
She's so small and her enclosure is tiny so I don't have anything small enough to use as a water dish but i've wet one side of her substrate for her ;)
I'm sure you'll get that moult soon but Ts all grow at different rates according to species and sex. I have an E. sp red that is 3 years old and is less than a third the size of my P. ornata that I bought 9 months ago at 1st instar.
:eek: Jesus, I know old world arboreal's especially grow at alarming rates compared to a lot of new world. My zebra took months to moult for me but my Vittata has been with me mere weeks and was smaller than Zebedy but now she has outgrown her and may be coming up to yet another moult the way she is going, It would just be nice if they could all grow quickly, particularly the chaco that hasn't moulted for 5 months and has been buried for the last month :mad:

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
You can always raise temps and feed more frequently.
If only I had the money for the electric bill increase. [emoji20]
My zebra knee has blocked up her hide so I'm praying it's pre moult behaviour . Chaco shows no signs of coming out any day soon and red rump moulted 5 days ago and is still refusing feed..... they're crap at being spiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a 25 watt bulb and a voltage controller. The full electric spent is about 1/2+1/3rd of maximum potential.

Keep in mind that you want it at least 8 inches away and you need a thermometer to monitor temps. I'd also check the water dish twice daily or minimum once daily.

Start low and increase gradually. Get the kinks out BEFORE introducing the T to that environment.

As others say, this isn't necessary and you can just put up with slow growth bordering almost on arrested development.

Check out my latest post on Justina's progress growing that I'm putting up.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've suspected that.

It might also cause a bigger size increase per molt because there's more metabolic energy and biomass available.

Of course, the spider isn't quite as good looking in premolt but I haven't seen any negative effects.

I just got a measurement off of her, estimated 5" long which I posted in the gallery. In early August when I got her, she was about 1.5"

Latest posts