• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thrigmopoeus pshycedelicus

khatchet

3 Year Member
Has any one else seen the Thrigmopoeus pshycedelicus, I would love to have one but I think they are way out of my price range. I will put a photo fromonline on this post so any one who has not seen this tarantula.
tarantula 11.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Steve123

3 Year Member
I have a breeding group of these, but as a species, they are a bit of a disappointment. This species and others similar to it (e.g. S. raja) are obligate burrowers. You don't see them much, and when you do, they don't look like the one in that photo. They are a small species, which you can't easily tell in that photo. In my opinion, they are not in the same category of desirability as the famous blue line mentioned above (balfouri, metallica . . . ). It seems we are subjected to a lot of hype with some new species. T. psychedelicus is an over-hyped species, with initial distribution intentionally restricted to keep prices high. "Collectors" will probably want one, and it will probably stay in the hobby, but well, I've said my piece. Thanks!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a breeding group of these, but as a species, they are a bit of a disappointment. This species and others similar to it (e.g. S. raja) are obligate burrowers. You don't see them much, and when you do, they don't look like the one in that photo. They are a small species, which you can't easily tell in that photo. In my opinion, they are not in the same category of desirability as the famous blue line mentioned above (balfouri, metallica . . . ). It seems we are subjected to a lot of hype with some new species. T. psychedelicus is an over-hyped species, with initial distribution intentionally restricted to keep prices high. "Collectors" will probably want one, and it will probably stay in the hobby, but well, I've said my piece. Thanks!
That's the third time I've heard someone who owns one say that..very overrated and over priced..