• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on superworms...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Considering getting a small tub of superworms for my two larger juvenile T's.
So, Hard to keep and is it worth the bother?
Roaches are nearly impossible to find here other then online.
I can however get crickets, superworms and wax worms..
Fruit flies as well but my guys aren't quite that small now.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Considering getting a small tub of superworms for my two larger juvenile T's.
So, Hard to keep and is it worth the bother?
Roaches are nearly impossible to find here other then online.
I can however get crickets, superworms and wax worms..
Fruit flies as well but my guys aren't quite that small now.

Hey Kymura,
I think superworworms would be good for them, very nutritious I'm sure, just in my experience, I'd crush the heads, they have some serious mouth parts and I've even been bitten by them. Last thing you want is your juvies getting injured. Just my 2 cents have you thought of just regular mealworms? Or are those to small for them also?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a ton of regular meal worms thinking of putting them in the fridge lol
Let's face it they breed sooo easily. But they too are small as compared to the supers. My G porteri will take two large crickets and cruise around looking for more. Was wondering if they'd be a good sometimes treat and how much harder they are to keep.

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I have yet to use them for t's but back in the day I used to keep them around every now and again for my reptiles there pretty easy to care for just some sort of food grain for sub and a few slices of fresh veggies swapped out every now and then so they can get some moisture and that's about it though I think I've heard they don't far so well in the fridge unlike the mealworms

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I have a ton of regular meal worms thinking of putting them in the fridge lol
Let's face it they breed sooo easily. But they too are small as compared to the supers. My G porteri will take two large crickets and cruise around looking for more. Was wondering if they'd be a good sometimes treat and how much harder they are to keep.

Apparently they aren't the easiest to breed, as for care, I'd use a bedding of chickfeed and oatmeal mix, and throw in a carrot from time to time, not much different from mealworms

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
Super worm are healthier then meal worn and meal worm are almost all exoskeleton. As far as breeding them It takes more thought and time then meal worm but still simple.
Super worm breeding. To start super worm will not pupate to become beetle if housed to gather. To get them to pupate get small container and put one super worm in each. After the pupate you can put them back to gather. For the breading container you want 2 stacked container. the top one needs to have a screen so the new hatched super worn can dig to the bottom and fall in to the underneath container. You do these because if not the beetle will eat the baby super worm. it wi take a few month to get a good colony going.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In answer to your original question Kymura, buy the tub of worms and set it on your table. Voila, you're caring for superworms well. :) They're great feeders, no care other than room temp and the substrate they came in is their food. They last quite a bit longer than crickets too. If you buy the large worms, they may die quicker, I always get the medium 100 ct, and they never die on me, the few that do get eaten by the rest. Some smell when you open the container, but not bad. If it smell's bad when you open it at the store, don't buy it. :)

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
I think that you could try them and watch how it goes. Do crush the head. Do Not store them in the fridge and Petsmart sells them in small containers so sounds like a Viable experiment.. Watch the T's though and see if they take im , if not no big deal

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think that you could try them and watch how it goes. Do crush the head. Do Not store them in the fridge and Petsmart sells them in small containers so sounds like a Viable experiment.. Watch the T's though and see if they take im , if not no big deal
Think I will, petsupermarket has them as well and they are where I generally go for a few crickets. I hate the things so only buy a couple dozen at a time lol

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Currently have superworms and mealworm farms. Funny though, I started a month early on the mealworm and the produce is not that many. Then I started on the superworms by turning 7 worms at a time using the pill box that has seven days of the week. And they are producing like crazy!

This morning when I transferred the tray from below the breeder worms, I swear the substrate is alive. Thousands of baby worms flatten the mound in seconds with their movement! And it has just been about 5 weeks with only more than a dozen beetles.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Crush the heads first so they can't burrow. That'll keep them from possibly munching on your tarantula when it's molting or freshly molted.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Currently have superworms and mealworm farms. Funny though, I started a month early on the mealworm and the produce is not that many. Then I started on the superworms by turning 7 worms at a time using the pill box that has seven days of the week. And they are producing like crazy!

This morning when I transferred the tray from below the breeder worms, I swear the substrate is alive. Thousands of baby worms flatten the mound in seconds with their movement! And it has just been about 5 weeks with only more than a dozen beetles.
That's awesome. I failed miserably at breeding superworms.. I need to read up and try again..my beetles killed each other..

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's awesome. I failed miserably at breeding superworms.. I need to read up and try again..my beetles killed each other..

Really? I don't have a psycho superworm beetle yet so that's may be it. :D

I just placed them in a two-storey 10L plastic containers. The top one with wire mesh bottom and 1inch whole-grain oats substrate is the beetle/breeder container with 17 adult beetles and some pupa currently (some superworms don't successfully turn and just die in the pill boxes). I placed paper rolls and soft chunks of wood in it (cork and the like).

The bottom container have wheat bran, corn starch and pinch of yeast mixture substrate. It really is amazing to see when you pile this bottom substrate into a mound and it basically move by itself and flatten again due to the movement of the small superworms.

Yesterday, I put this in a strainer and removed the bigger worms and placed them into another container where I can feed them vegies and fruits. I read somewhere that this should be done every three weeks so that the bigger worms won't eat the eggs and smaller worms that dropped from the breeder bin.

In three weeks time, I may have mature worms to turn to beetle from this colony already.

So far so good. :) ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really? I don't have a psycho superworm beetle yet so that's may be it. :D

I just placed them in a two-storey 10L plastic containers. The top one with wire mesh bottom and 1inch whole-grain oats substrate is the beetle/breeder container with 17 adult beetles and some pupa currently (some superworms don't successfully turn and just die in the pill boxes). I placed paper rolls and soft chunks of wood in it (cork and the like).

The bottom container have wheat bran, corn starch and pinch of yeast mixture substrate. It really is amazing to see when you pile this bottom substrate into a mound and it basically move by itself and flatten again due to the movement of the small superworms.

Yesterday, I put this in a strainer and removed the bigger worms and placed them into another container where I can feed them vegies and fruits. I read somewhere that this should be done every three weeks so that the bigger worms won't eat the eggs and smaller worms that dropped from the breeder bin.

In three weeks time, I may have mature worms to turn to beetle from this colony already.

So far so good. :) ;)
Excellent, I'm going to give it another shot.

Latest posts