• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Think I’m going to branch out

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m thinking of branching out and raising something besides tarantulas in order to add variety to my collection and expand my knowledge.

I already know I’m going to be raising Chicobolus spinigerus and Narceus americanus for now. I am however interested in learning more about Different beginner species of centipedes and scorpions.

If any one has any knowledge on the subject, I would like to progress my research. Also considering hissing roaches as well.

Any information would be great.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can't help you there, but I too have begun to branch out to other invertebrates, specifically custodian species like isopods and springtails and bioactive enclosures with plants and moss. Basically living playgrounds for select tarantulas species, to start; then perhaps for all my display spiders.

I'm just as rewarded watching the custodians establish and thrive along with live plants in enclosures as I am the spider I will eventually keep in them.

I look forward to your future experience and success

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I've already said recently, but there's something about roaches I really like. Relatively simple to feed and look after, and there's something satisfying about watching them proliferate, even though that usually takes minimum effort too. It's like when I started with stick insects as a kid, except I don't have to go gather prickly brambles for them. And their role as supplementary or even the main source of livefood is a bonus. The Allpet Roaches forum is out there for much more, and better, research and advice than I can provide.

Funny, I can't remember ever keeping hissers. They're the go-to beginner roach, but there's so many more to look at, including other big, showy, handleable species.

I've kept a couple of scorpions in my time. If you're talking beginner species, I had a Pandinus imperator. Big, bulletproof and very docile. Kept it like a semifossorial T, with a cork bark hide. (Though this was back when tropical T's were kept with a bit of humidity) I gather they're a lot harder to get your hands on these days, and you pay a corresponding price. I can't speak to how Heterometrus are as replacement beginner species, but other keepers don't seem to have problems.

Latest posts