• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thick gloves & long tweezers!!!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
While watching something pirate radio related on youtube last night, among the up next options on the right of the screen, was a video of someone moving an H longipies from a small pot to it's new home while wearing thick gloves whilst also using long tweezers!!

I know longpipes are fast & nasty & that they can inflict a really nasty bite. As I understand it, they inject a lot of venom & can very quickly bite more than once or even hold on. So I understand the use of long tweezers & the use of caution. But thick gloves & long metal tweezers!! Why not use bamboo tweezers if they are that close to an aggressive T? As for me they are far more appropriate if they are very close to an aggressive T & these tweezers were close, as he was using them to push the top off the upside down small pot, with the jacked off & ready to hit out H longipies a few milimeters away from the tweezers.

Maybe it's a lesson I have yet to learn, but to me thick gloves & long tweezers suggest that this owner is afraid of his T. Caution & respect I can understand, but for me the use of gloves as well as long tweezers, suggest this keeper is out of his depth, as he was not wearing gloves to enable him to safely use his hands. His hands were well covered & well out of the way.

Is it just me or are some of the youtube hero's with old world T's afraid of them?

Crax

I was sure a holothele longipies was a new world since I have one. Not really aggressive, just really fast for a little dwarf. Instead of using tweezers, use a straw? With all that said, you don't have to worry about the venom. I'm hypersensitive and Piggy doesn't worry me.

Could you link the video?

Crax

It was a Haplopelma longpipes, which is from Thailand & Cambodia & defiantly old world..I'll see if I can find it again..

Edited to add.

I have dyslexia. Can you tell?

I have to agree with you, he is out of his depth. Not to mention the rehouse cup?

Why open it where your hands are going to be? o_O That boggled my mind.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
That's the longest pair of tongs I've ever seen.There seemed to be no end to them! I don't think those gloves would have given him much protection from a full on bite.

with the jacked off & ready to hit out H longipies a few milimeters away from the tweezers.

Jacked off has a very different meaning!! Psml! I know you meant jacked up, but it did give me a little chuckle lol

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
How confusing is Haplopelma longipes & Holothele longipes? Are there any other species which have very similar names like that?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Couldn't resist

3il3eq.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If theres that much fear you dont need that spider. I love Bengal tigers but I would never own one...hell no!!!:eek::D

I use to do high access work. That is putting ladders up the side of chimneys, scaffolding up at height etc for others to use & the guy I worked for always said. "No fear no job, too afraid no job." Meaning if you feel no fear you loose what is designed to keep you safe. An element of fear makes you careful, but leaves you able to work. But being afraid makes you dangerous to yourself & others.

The same applies to T's. No respect for a T's potential & something that need not happen willhappen. But being afraid of being bitten everytime you go near certain species is worse, as that puts your concentration on to you & not the T's care.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use to do high access work. That is putting ladders up the side of chimneys, scaffolding up at height etc for others to use & the guy I worked for always said. "No fear no job, too afraid no job." Meaning if you feel no fear you loose what is designed to keep you safe. An element of fear makes you careful, but leaves you able to work. But being afraid makes you dangerous to yourself & others.

The same applies to T's. No respect for a T's potential & something that need not happen willhappen. But being afraid of being bitten everytime you go near certain species is worse, as that puts your concentration on to you & not the T's care.
Well... I guess I've lost my edge. I have absolutely no fear of any spider. Maybe I should move to tigers then?:)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
https://www.tarantulaforum.com/media/dolothele-diamantinensis-mp4.9102/I use to do high access work. That is putting ladders up the side of chimneys, scaffolding up at height etc for others to use &Meaning if you feel no fear you loose what is designed to keep you safe. An element of fear makes you careful, but leaves you able to work. But being afraid makes you dangerous to yourself & others.

Well... I guess I've lost my edge. I have absolutely no fear of any spider. Maybe I should move to tigers then?:)

You're obviously in the small minority who never had a fear of spiders. And it is a minority no matter what the papers etc says, as I've given up mentioning to anyone outside the hobby my interest in tarantulas, because the overwhelming reaction was a shudder 'Urrgh, disgusting!'

Do you fear a bite off an old world though. Like not the spider, but just what the venom could do to you?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I wish everyone could stop fearing them.i wish I could get over the revulsion to the giant British housespider I still sometimes feel, when I get taken by surprise by one. I'm working on it lol

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You're obviously in the small minority who never had a fear of spiders. And it is a minority no matter what the papers etc says, as I've given up mentioning to anyone outside the hobby my interest in tarantulas, because the overwhelming reaction was a shudder 'Urrgh, disgusting!'

Do you fear a bite off an old world though. Like not the spider, but just what the venom could do to you?
I was catching bugs and spiders as soon as I could walk. Never had any fear of bugs ever. I had jars of bugs and spiders in the shed I raised as pets until I was 10. Finally my Mom let me start collecting tarantulas in 1982. I've owned some real nasty beasts over the years. I've only been bit once, by a "docile" Avicularia avicularia.
To answer your question I'm not scared of getting bit or what the venom will do either. Ive read bite reports and watched videos, doesnt phase me. I know someday I'll probably get tagged by a old world, Ive had close calls. I feel as if I'm always one step ahead of them. I've seen so many different scenarios with different spiders I kinda know what's going to happen before it does. I'm far from being complacent... I'd say just super prepared.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Really interesting, thanks for answering.
I used to play with insects as a kid. I remember digging up a nest of ants, sorting them in jam jars, then inviting the neighbourhood kids over, with the promise that if they brought their pocket money, I had a pet shop in my garden and I'd sell them some pets. I still remember the looks of utter disappointment when they realised what I had for sale!!

I have a really early memory of trying to rescue a spider from the water in the kitchen sink. But somewhere along the way, I became really scared of spiders. I think I learned it. I'm glad I'm free of that now, at least where tarantulas are concerned.
I find them so interesting and appealing.

I hope you keep one step ahead and don't get tagged!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I have never been afraid of spiders. But a UK household spider did bite me when I was a teenager & I will not now handle household spiders, as that bitr hurt. Had this guy in the video been using his hands, rather than the tweezers, it would have made sense to wear glove, or at least a glove. But why keep old worlds if you are so afraid of them you cannot care for them without feeling real fear?

There is a big difference between not wanting to be bitten, which is most of us, I would imagine & someone who has so much fear of his T that he cannot care for it without feeling so much fear he needs thick gloves & long tweezers.

My daughter hated it when we got our first T. She even threatened to never come into the living room again. Now she has her own Tliltocatl vegans & often checks round our other T's & changes water etc Out T's are mostly new world, but we do have some OW's too.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I have never been afraid of spiders. But a UK household spider did bite me when I was a teenager & I will not now handle household spiders, as that bitr hurt. Had this guy in the video been using his hands, rather than the tweezers, it would have made sense to wear glove, or at least a glove. But why keep old worlds if you are so afraid of them you cannot care for them without feeling real fear?

There is a big difference between not wanting to be bitten, which is most of us, I would imagine & someone who has so much fear of his T that he cannot care for it without feeling so much fear he needs thick gloves & long tweezers.

My daughter hated it when we got our first T. She even threatened to never come into the living room again. Now she has her own Tliltocatl vegans & often checks round our other T's & changes water etc Out T's are mostly new world, but we do have some OW's too.

I think I also was bitten on the foot in bed by a spider, years ago. I had a large swollen circular blotch with two fang holes in the middle several mm's apart and it really was very painful to the touch. It cleared up after a couple days though.

A lot of people bite off more than they can chew by getting old worlds too quickly, buying slings without giving enough thought into how they'll care for the adult spider. However, there are at least an equal number of other people who do exactly the same and manage well without problems.

Before I order a new sling, I always imagine that I'm sent an adult specimen instead. If the thought of unboxing a fully grown adult gives me pause for thought, I don't place the order because I know I'm not ready for that spider.

I notice that this is the only place on the internet where if a beginner says they've bought their first old world, they are not slated and ripped to shreds. I'm really glad of that, it's one of the reasons why I love this forum. I'm fed up with the doom mongering, and think it can be blown out of all proportion as there are tons of people like yourself who have got into old worlds early on and care for them successfully. Again, it's down to the individual keeper

Isn't it great that your daughter is now getting interested! Love it.

Latest posts