• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

They've arrived and got a wonderful surprise as well!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The T's have arrived and I got myself a wonderful surprise in the form of a freebie!

A note comes with it stating the ff.:
2 holes - P. metallica
4 holes - A. geniculata
6 holes - G. porteri

So loving my supplier right now, what a surprise indeed! :D :D :D

A little improvement on the packaging. This time, the straw is no longer stapled but with cotton on the ends.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And saving the best for last, my very first Poecilotheria metallica! Or my very first pokie or my very first arboreal or my very first OW. I mean, wow, it is fast but it immediately snuggled on the wood. Managed to take a couple of shots though.

That's all for now, time to settle down first and let them chill. ;)

micheldied

3 Year Member
Nice additions. P. metallica are a great starter pokie, but they can be really, really skittish and light sensitive. Mine gave me a run around the room the other day as I was watering it.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous slings! My first/only OW was a P. Met sling, but it died unfortunately. I'll get another one some day when I have space and would again start with a sling. I believe you can "grow" with your spider that way, my second arboreal was a T. Gigas, not exactly beginners' "material", but it grew from a tiny sling to a beautiful subadult and so far I have not found it any issue to keep. Even the rehousings went smoothly (tried to make a dash once, but I was ready, lol) and it's now in its adult enclosure.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

This was my first genic. The one I got now is a little bigger but not much. I am honestly concerned and hoping that this time it will thrive.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice additions. P. metallica are a great starter pokie, but they can be really, really skittish and light sensitive. Mine gave me a run around the room the other day as I was watering it.
I was thinking along these lines and so it took me a while to get the courage to move it out of the straw to its new enclosure, imagine that! And it was such a small sling that I was trying my hardest not to squish it in a panic move.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous slings! My first/only OW was a P. Met sling, but it died unfortunately. I'll get another one some day when I have space and would again start with a sling. I believe you can "grow" with your spider that way, my second arboreal was a T. Gigas, not exactly beginners' "material", but it grew from a tiny sling to a beautiful subadult and so far I have not found it any issue to keep. Even the rehousings went smoothly (tried to make a dash once, but I was ready, lol) and it's now in its adult enclosure.
Awwww, too bad. I hate it when that happens, happened to me a couple of times already. But, here is to never ever giving up on your collection! ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on the great new additions. My P. met was amazingly calm as a sling but is much more skittish now she's a sub adult

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations! That's a heck of a haul. My P. metallica is quite calm overall, but she is the only Pokie I have that actually struck at me. Just don't let your guard down and you'll be fine. :)

syzygy

3 Year Member
I'm probably being paranoid, but those air holes look a touch large.
Awesome slings though...love that the genics show the banding so early!

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I'm probably being paranoid, but those air holes look a touch large.
Awesome slings though...love that the genics show the banding so early!
I'm inclined to agree, unless theress tape with tiny pinholes over the air holes. I thought holes that size would be fine for my B. vagans, but I was wrong as she decided to use it as an escape route. My boyfriend and I found her and fixed her enclosure right up thankfully.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats on the new additions RCT, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast that metallica grows. It takes them no time at all to grow out of the little brown sling stage and start showing blue. Mines a sexed female and i still find her growth rate impressive..my little genic is more of a medium grower. Lmao and the porteri will outlive us all..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice! My genic is really skittish still at 3" or so. Hoping he'll calm down soon. He's still recovering from his last molt and hasn't left his hide yet so maybe he'll be calmer now? :p

Porteri is fun, but frustrating with their long fasting sessions. My porteri/rosea ate twice since she molted and has been running from food since. So i guess it's going to be another 6 week wait or so for her to molt again.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
HEY! No bad talking the porteri, they are just sensitive that's all.....(I adore my moody girl)
;)

Huge grats on the new babies!
Had no idea baby Pokies were so adorable :D

Latest posts