• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thermometer fail ? (Using heating pad)

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hello again ! :)

As my room was a bit cold and it was a lot less expensive to buy a heating pad, I've chosen a 22 Watts heating pad from Reptilus (41 x 27,40cm) so I could place my 3 tarentulas near to it. But here, the 2 enclosures placed on the top of the pad (with some sheets of papers to down the T°) are just heated as I wanted it (Around 26/27°C), but the enclosure under the pad (separated with 1,5cm of wooden plank and 0,4cm of plexiglass) displays a temperature of [29-32]°C which is really hight as the heated air is supposed to elevate and the cold air is supposed to down.

What do you guys (or girls) think about it ? Is it my thermometer that fails ? Is the enclosure really that hot (I placed my hand in it, I can't feel the difference with the outside, but when I get the thermometer out of it, the T° decreases suddendly.

Here a picture
20171120_234908.jpg

I used to be bad in physic, but from what I know 1,5cm of wood and 0,4cm of plexiglass should provide a way better thermal isolation than 2cm of paper. But I must be forgetting something that explain this temperature.

Well, I hope someone can light my lantern.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I hope you have a thermostat on that heat pad as you have a real fire risk without one.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I hope you have a thermostat on that heat pad as you have a real fire risk without one.

Not yet but I've planned to get one (I'd like to find one not that expensive but not the cheapest either, so if you know any that you would recommend.. :)). Can you tell me more about this fire risk ? I mean, I mesured the temperature with nothing on the pad, It can't go above 40°C, even with something covering entirely the pad.

But this morning, it seems to be fine, everything is around (25 ± 1)°C
I've read many comments about this pad in particular, no one has ever experienced with or without a thermostat a fire issue, but it is true that is hightly recommended to have a thermostat, I definetely should get myself one, that is a fact.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Slapmygoat I'm afraid I can't help with a recommendation, it's a long time since I had to buy one and so many improvements.

This is what can happen to a heat mat with no thermostat
024.JPG

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Oh. I just saw few images too, it is scary how far it can go. I'll get a thermostat as soon as I can. But I am pretty sure that is a constructor error. Thanks you for that precious advice :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh. I just saw few images too, it is scary how far it can go. I'll get a thermostat as soon as I can. But I am pretty sure that is a constructor error. Thanks you for that precious advice :)

The worst thing was there was no outside clue. The mat was inside a wooden vivarium containing 2 Green Anoles and I'd commented that I hadn't seen them for a couple of days. When my son opened the vivarium it was full of fumes and the 2 Anoles had cooked. The mat had burnt a hole in the bottom of the vivarium, we were so lucky it hadn't burst into flames.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I'd suggest wiring them in series so that either one can stop the heater should one get into the on position

+
The worst thing was there was no outside clue. The mat was inside a wooden vivarium containing 2 Green Anoles and I'd commented that I hadn't seen them for a couple of days. When my son opened the vivarium it was full of fumes and the 2 Anoles had cooked. The mat had burnt a hole in the bottom of the vivarium, we were so lucky it hadn't burst into flames.

That's really bad yeah :(. The best thing I can do for now is turn it off while I'm outside. I've read things about burning heating mats, that some pressure on it may cause a disfunction. Some are also accusating the constructor.

I've always thought that a thermostat was some kind of luxury for your animal, that make you gain some time, but seing these issues, it just appear to be a must have. I'm gonna make some research on thermostat, but there's one interresting me, well rated, not that expensive, simple as I want it (Inkbird ITC-308 Plug-n-Play).

Thanks !

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I'd avoid heat mats for Ts altogether... I use heat cables instead which can be used in any set up effectively without the fear of cooking your pets.. They're pretty cheap too :)

You've caught my interest.. Do you heat only few places in your terrarium or everything ? It could be more practical. If it can remove this fear of smelling cooked tarentula, I agree at 100% :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do a hot side/cold side with the heating pads, limited by a rheostat switch that only runs up to 50%.

My scorpion has the same setup and had done very well with it. If the temps get a bit too warm, the T specifically my L Klugi, will move away towards the cold side, typically into areas that are about 80 degrees.

If you place the mat underneath, they can overheat and dig to it instead of away.

They are hardwired to go down into the ground and to the side if too hot. It's also important that any heat lamps be located at least 6-8"away from the cover of the cage...if you want to use them at all.

Many people just run them at room temperature, but in my case that's 68 degrees due to my ex's fibromyalgia and general sensitivity.

I only use 25 watt bulbs in the lamps, which are actually 12.5 watts or less due to the limited voltage I allow.

Less is more & if you keep room temps at 75+ degrees, you probably can get away with no heat sources at all.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I think I'll just go for a heating cable paired with a thermostat. Ive seen they could be really long (like 3.5m), which would be fine as it could be enought for all the terrarium all I have. I just placed my heating pad under my new B. Dubia colony as the best temp is around 80-85°C. It's way cheaper to heat my T's than heat the whole room actually ^^

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas are most active in cool weather...at night. That's when you see them in the wild. Most deserts get down in the 40s at night and over 100 degrees during the days. They dont like heat ...they generally are in their cool burrows during the day. Heat pads are bad under a enclosure IMO. Heat pads are for reptiles and roaches. Tarantulas aren't very smart...when they get too hot instinct tells them to dig down in their burrows. All the way to the bottom where the pad is...they don't retreat, they die. If you are comfortable they are comfortable. If it's too cold a space heater to heat the room is the answer. In 35 years I've never used a heat pad and never will. Ive had 100s of T's over the years. Never had a problem with a species needing a certain amount of heat. (Exception would be with a eggsack incubator ) I've always kept the room between 68-75 degrees depending on what time of year it is. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to or what to do, Just want to share my experiences with my years of raising Ts. Good luck

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Tarantulas are most active in cool weather...at night. That's when you see them in the wild. Most deserts get down in the 40s at night and over 100 degrees during the days. They dont like heat ...they generally are in their cool burrows during the day. Heat pads are bad under a enclosure IMO. Heat pads are for reptiles and roaches. Tarantulas aren't very smart...when they get too hot instinct tells them to dig down in their burrows. All the way to the bottom where the pad is...they don't retreat, they die. If you are comfortable they are comfortable. If it's too cold a space heater to heat the room is the answer. In 35 years I've never used a heat pad and never will. Ive had 100s of T's over the years. Never had a problem with a species needing a certain amount of heat. (Exception would be with a eggsack incubator ) I've always kept the room between 68-75 degrees depending on what time of year it is. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to or what to do, Just want to share my experiences with my years of raising Ts. Good luck

I've seen some experienced keepers with the same opinion, so yea, I should better heat my room.. Actually in France, it is a bit cold outside (around 3°C the morning, 10/12°C the day, 5/6°C at night). My room is around 19°C if not heated. I am trying to keep 22/25°C with a gas heater (this kind)
5jBUv65pwZ7RlFNOCgP3PNlJeKqwP_xSaPrlcRMnIudhdfXswimpsETphE0ufZ7SKuQed3LXpaOLEfHlBSnqKQGnBm2rV6c3is82FaR60c2f5YR7hlCDRRkjwNZ3YqXpkg

As it is the first month I am using it, I am kinda afraid to see the bill in the next days.

If T's are more active at night, shall I keep it on during night or shut it down ?

Thanks for your experience and advices !

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've personally seen vegans and hamorii's in the wild at night and it was 50°f...I think that's 10° c??? If your at 19° you only really need to come up a few degrees to be around what I keep mine at . It's up to you and your budget....if you get an efficient heater with a thermostat and it's not running constantly you could run it all the time. It also depends on how well your home is insulated. I wouldnt stress too much at 19°c or 66°f. Its kinda cool but they hunt and breed at those temps in the wild. It's got below freezing here and we lost power one time. It got down to 45° f ( 7°c) in the house and my Ts were still going about their business. Some stayed in their burrows which may not be as cold in there??? I hope I'm right on my temps...Americans are behind the times. Lol

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I am heating since one month my room at 22/26°C (71,6/79 degree fahrenheit), I should receive the bill really soon. I am just heating my room so it should'nt be that expensive, I hope.. :D.

Otherwise, as Shampain said so, I could place a heating cable, not under, but around the enclosure, which may eventually act like a heater but less expensively.. I find myself that 66 Fahrenheit is a bit too cold so I am heating not only for my T's. But I want them to grow stronger so I am considering as many options as I can ^^. It may be a bit too much, but I like to know that my pets are in the best conditions I can provide. But I've noticed that my GBB sling were always comming to the side where the heat is comming from. As 2 of my 3 T's are in premolt, I want to make sure everything is going alright.

Thanks again for these precious advices ;)

Latest posts