• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The weapons thread.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As a collector of things, including weapons, I thought I would start a thread. I'll kick it off with a few of my favorites, and a bit of commentary for each pic.
20190813_155716.jpg

Top: The Japanese great sword, known as ōdachi.
Middle: the katana. I named mine Grasscutter, after a legendary Japanese Tamahagane sword. I practice with it every week.
Bottom: the ko-katana, partner to the katana, and a close second to my favorite sword. It's a shortsword.

Fyi: Every sword shown in my pics is battle ready. Most are made of T10 springsteel, or an equivalent. What this means is: Everyone has heard of Japanese artisans folding steel "1000" times and hammering impurities out of it. In this era, we have the purest and strongest steel ever. We don't need to do that. The swords you are looking at are stronger, lighter, and overall better than a $3000.00 tamahagane heirloom. That includes the next ones, as well.

20190813_160212.jpg

Top: A faithful reproduction of a Scottish Claymore, battle ready. I should have put something for scale. The Claymore is huge, but thanks to modern tech, I can swing it with one hand. It's really awkward though. This sword was made for stabbing over shield walls and penetrating them. Like most greatswords, a sheath was not made for it, it was usually carried by a retainer.
Bottom: The hand and a half bastard sword. I dont have the patience to explain how popular this sword was, in it's time. It's light, versatile, and was the subject of several fighting styles. I love it..
20190813_161528.jpg

Bottom: A Damascus khanjali, these pics are not doing these swords justice. Its gorgeous, and feels fantastic in the hand. The edges and points of my swords are shaving sharp. I adore this sword..(shortsword)

Middle: An average Schrade old time skinner. Very sharp. Great belt knife.

Top, a Case xxx Kabar knife, also a favorite. Kabar speaks for itself in the states..

On to firearms..

20190813_160504.jpg

Top: A Ruger 10-22 with an archangel stock. Fun little weapon, and the first rifle I received as a kid, in its original carbine form. Every household should have one.

Middle: The AR-9..takes thirty-three round Glock funsticks, I highly recommend this pistol (yes, it's a pistol) I've been having a blast with it. The holosun optic is fantastic!

Bottom: DPMS Panther AR-15. The AR platform speaks for itself. Great little battle rifle.

20190813_160723.jpg

Remington 870 12 gauge. Modified street sweeper.

20190813_161103.jpg

Berreta 92 FS, Taurus .357 mag snubby, and my current favorite carry gun, the S&W Shield 9mm with night sights. The little bastard hits as well as the full size Beretta at 20 yards, I **** you not.

So theres a few of mine. Anyone want to contribute?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As a collector of things, including weapons, I thought I would start a thread. I'll kick it off with a few of my favorites, and a bit of commentary for each pic.
View attachment 39939

Top: The Japanese great sword, known as ōdachi.
Middle: the katana. I named mine Grasscutter, after a legendary Japanese Tamahagane sword. I practice with it every week.
Bottom: the ko-katana, partner to the katana, and a close second to my favorite sword. It's a shortsword.

Fyi: Every sword shown in my pics is battle ready. Most are made of T10 springsteel, or an equivalent. What this means is: Everyone has heard of Japanese artisans folding steel "1000" times and hammering impurities out of it. In this era, we have the purest and strongest steel ever. We don't need to do that. The swords you are looking at are stronger, lighter, and overall better than a $3000.00 tamahagane heirloom. That includes the next ones, as well.

View attachment 39940

Top: A faithful reproduction of a Scottish Claymore, battle ready. I should have put something for scale. The Claymore is huge, but thanks to modern tech, I can swing it with one hand. It's really awkward though. This sword was made for stabbing over shield walls and penetrating them. Like most greatswords, a sheath was not made for it, it was usually carried by a retainer.
Bottom: The hand and a half bastard sword. I dont have the patience to explain how popular this sword was, in it's time. It's light, versatile, and was the subject of several fighting styles. I love it..View attachment 39941

Bottom: A Damascus khanjali, these pics are not doing these swords justice. Its gorgeous, and feels fantastic in the hand. The edges and points of my swords are shaving sharp. I adore this sword..(shortsword)

Middle: An average Schrade old time skinner. Very sharp. Great belt knife.

Top, a Case xxx Kabar knife, also a favorite. Kabar speaks for itself in the states..

On to firearms..

View attachment 39942

Top: A Ruger 10-22 with an archangel stock. Fun little weapon, and the first rifle I received as a kid, in its original carbine form. Every household should have one.

Middle: The AR-9..takes thirty-three round Glock funsticks, I highly recommend this pistol (yes, it's a pistol) I've been having a blast with it. The holosun optic is fantastic!

Bottom: DPMS Panther AR-15. The AR platform speaks for itself. Great little battle rifle.

View attachment 39943

Remington 870 12 gauge. Modified street sweeper.

View attachment 39944

Berreta 92 FS, Taurus .357 mag snubby, and my current favorite carry gun, the S&W Shield 9mm with night sights. The little bastard hits as well as the full size Beretta at 20 yards, I **** you not.

So theres a few of mine. Anyone want to contribute?
Quite a collection you have there, I like the swords in particular.

Firearms don't really interest me, though I like antiques, such as muskets from the civil war. One day I do plan to get a permit. I prefer martial arts weapons myself. Bo staffs are overlooked, with proper training they can be quite useful. I've had some experience with nunchucks (nunchaku as they are mainly referred to) and the sai (which looks like a cross between a sword and a knife). At some point I will work on the three sectioned staffs and all swords.

Thinking about learning a third martial art that deals with weapons like tonfas, jo staffs, and a couple other lesser known martial arts weapons.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Quite a collection you have there, I like the swords in particular.

Firearms don't really interest me, though I like antiques, such as muskets from the civil war. One day I do plan to get a permit. I prefer martial arts weapons myself. Bo staffs are overlooked, with proper training they can be quite useful. I've had some experience with nunchucks (nunchaku as they are mainly referred to) and the sai (which looks like a cross between a sword and a knife). At some point I will work on the three sectioned staffs and all swords.

Thinking about learning a third martial art that deals with weapons like tonfas, jo staffs, and a couple other lesser known martial arts weapons.
Bo staffs are more than useful, I've seen a few fellas that scare me with them. By that I mean you'd have a rough time even identifying what they had in their hands before your brain gets knocked out of your head :D I tried the three section out of curiosity, it was an exercise in frustration, and quite funny to my friends. As far as training with my katana, I practice the single cut, Iaijutsu, and that's it. Its actually really fun, and can bring you to a much higher level of focus. Almost meditation-like, after a few months. Never had any formal training though, just watched videos of instructors teaching. There are several guns in my collection that I'd give up before I'd lose my katana.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bo staffs are more than useful, I've seen a few fellas that scare me with them. By that I mean you'd have a rough time even identifying what they had in their hands before your brain gets knocked out of your head :D I tried the three section out of curiosity, it was an exercise in frustration, and quite funny to my friends. As far as training with my katana, I practice the single cut, Iaijutsu, and that's it. Its actually really fun, and can bring you to a much higher level of focus. Almost meditation-like, after a few months. Never had any formal training though, just watched videos of instructors teaching. There are several guns in my collection that I'd give up before I'd lose my katana.
Interesting, I think I read something a few years ago about a business in Dallas that specializes in custom swords (both real and prop) and that they are behind every sword you see in movies.

The formal training I had is in sport taekwondo, and hung fa yi wing chun kung fu. Formal training is quite rewarding. I have a couple years left before I am able to start teaching as an instructor.

I'm actually good with a bo staff. The fiberglass bo staffs are the best. I'm slowly amassing a collection of various types, but fiberglass staffs are just plain awesome.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting, I think I read something a few years ago about a business in Dallas that specializes in custom swords (both real and prop) and that they are behind every sword you see in movies.

The formal training I had is in sport taekwondo, and hung fa yi wing chun kung fu. Formal training is quite rewarding. I have a couple years left before I am able to start teaching as an instructor.

I'm actually good with a bo staff. The fiberglass bo staffs are the best. I'm slowly amassing a collection of various types, but fiberglass staffs are just plain awesome.
I may have to try one of those..sounds fun. I never purchased a bokken for katana training, and I've always been very aware of the sharpened blade when I practice. Maybe I'll get both..I've been too focused on the AR-9 lately.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I may have to try one of those..sounds fun. I never purchased a bokken for katana training, and I've always been very aware of the sharpened blade when I practice. Maybe I'll get both..I've been too focused on the AR-9 lately.
I just signed up to learn another martial art (which will make 3, will be 4 soon), and have learned of a different weapon that will be featured in training, I think they are called tekko, which are similar to brass knuckles, but made out of horseshoes.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just signed up to learn another martial art (which will make 3, will be 4 soon), and have learned of a different weapon that will be featured in training, I think they are called tekko, which are similar to brass knuckles, but made out of horseshoes.
I'll check those out, they sound interesting. But going back to what you said, Panzon, are you talking about a permit to carry? You don't need one. You're a religious man, yes? You don't seem like the type to be searched, or hassled, or even stopped by police. I've carried a knife and a pistol since I was 20. That's 25 years. In that time I had a permit maybe 4 of those years. I've never had an issue. Neither will you. Our love of close quarters weapons is great, and fun, and interesting, etc..but it means nothing in a real setting. Train in every martial art that catches your fancy, but cross the wrong tracks and a skinny little 14 year old sociopath from the ghetto can destroy you at will, and just might... In this day and age, you need a modern weapon. I'm being sincere when I say GET ONE! Muskets and black powder are fantastic, but they won't save you. Nor will a bo staff, or a katana. Although I like the idea of carrying mine around..:D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nobody wants to share? Is there no one else? IS THERE NO ONE ELSE? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? Sorry, Gladiator possessed me for a moment..In other forums I get negative and no responses about this topic as well. Shouldn't surprise me anymore. "The meek shall inherit the Earth" ...if it's ok with the rest of us...lmmfao. The fact that a formally trained martial artist is the only person that replied dosen't surprise me at all..us religious folks are barbaric, after all..HAHAHAHAAAAA! I need to see some pillars of salt..

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nobody wants to share? Is there no one else? IS THERE NO ONE ELSE? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? Sorry, Gladiator possessed me for a moment..In other forums I get negative and no responses about this topic as well. Shouldn't surprise me anymore. "The meek shall inherit the Earth" ...if it's ok with the rest of us...lmmfao. The fact that a formally trained martial artist is the only person that replied dosen't surprise me at all..us religious folks are barbaric, after all..HAHAHAHAAAAA! I need to see some pillars of salt..
They could all be busy watching letterkenny instead of posting.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'm really enjoying this thread, it's informative, I'm finding out these sharp pointy sword things have names! I don't have anything to contribute.
Cos I'm in the UK, if I had just a couple of your weapons, the Firearms Response Unit would be kicking my door down!! :D

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm really enjoying this thread, it's informative, I'm finding out these sharp pointy sword things have names! I don't have anything to contribute.
Cos I'm in the UK, if I had just a couple of your weapons, the Firearms Response Unit would be kicking my door down!! :D
I wish I could move to the UK. You have the best paranormal tv shows and haunted places in general (who knows it may happen).

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
We certainly have a lot of ancient buildings. I saw a ghost when I was 14/15 years old, on an old railway viaduct bridge. It was a man walking across the bridge. There was a group of 6 of us and only 2 of us saw him.
How do I know it was a ghost, say you skeptics? Well, he suddenly appeared on the bridge behind us and disappeared, in the matter of literally a couple of seconds. Plus my friend saw him disappear. I'd done the classic double take and he had already vanished when I quickly looked back. I still remember the beige coloured coat he was wearing. We all freaked out and ran and it was comical! I was trying to grab the shoulder of the person in front to pull them behind me so I wouldn't be the one at the back, that's how brave I was...:rolleyes::eek::eek:
There is a road a few miles away from where I live, where people often see a ghost of a night watchman carrying a lantern. I personally know 2 people who have seen him but there have been lots of sightings over time. I've travelled that road and never saw anything weird though. Wouldn't it be funny if I looked at my rear view mirror and saw him sitting in the back:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have a katana and a wakizashi hanging in my reptile room. In addition to being cool and fun, I bought them to chop up pumpkins for my tortoises. I suppose I could just use a regular kitchen knife, but where is the fun in that? If Jack Skellington ever comes for me, he's got no chance man.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I have a katana and a wakizashi hanging in my reptile room. In addition to being cool and fun, I bought them to chop up pumpkins for my tortoises. I suppose I could just use a regular kitchen knife, but where is the fun in that? If Jack Skellington ever comes for me, he's got no chance man.

I bet they look as surprised as this little guy when you chop those pumpkins :D

Screenshot_20190817-175717.png

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As a side note, if anyone decides to buy the AR-9..(which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND), those 33rd Glock funsticks are an absolute ***** to fully load the first few times. I'm neither average in strength OR size, and it actually hurt my fingers a bit loading the last few rounds in every magazine. So, rather than buying the loading tool, just let them sit, fully loaded, for a month. Then empty them at targets, load them up, and do it again. It will make loading them tolerable..a fully loaded magazine will slightly degrade the magazine spring over time, making them much easier to load.Tbh tho they're still stiff as hell..

Latest posts