• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The never ending water dish struggle

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
So since my mass die off months ago that I narrowed down to lack of water dishes in sling enclosures, I have made sure every one has a water dish. However, I am so frustrated at the constant dirt in the water dish. What do you guys do about this problem if anything? The biggest offenders are B.Albo and P.Sazimai but they all seem to. Also, my water dishes seem to dry out very quickly. How often do you guys have to refill your dishes? Maybe it's just the climate here.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some of them are terrible for it, the webbers can be just as bad as the diggers. The worst I had was the Omothymus schioedtei who ended up with 4 water bowls in his container by his last rehouse. I seem to top bowls up every 2 days or so for the slings.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Unfortunatly having the water dish filled with dirt is something out of our control. My adult male t.stirmi will flip the dish as soon as ive filled it up, the flip it back upright and fill it with dirt. Alot of my other Ts will drop their leftovers in the water dishes lol. As for drying out too quick, that is down to the climate, my T room is the coldest in the house so i have a small electric oil filled radiator in there, my water dishes dry out quickly too, i probably refill the smaller ones 2-3 times a week. The bigger ones, maybe once every 2 weeks or so.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I started buying stacks of those small size cups so I can just throw them out. Have to agree that even attempting to clean some of those dishes makes me.shudder.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use bottle caps from pop bottles or gatorade bottles for the juvies. I've bought fake rock water dishes for the largest ones from Amazon. every sling i have fills the dish with substrate. I keep colored aquarium gravel in mine so the prey doesn't drown, usually just using a spray bottle to blast that substrate off is enough. Sometimes i have to take a brush and brush it out if they've packed it in. In the worst cases i have to remove the water dish and run a small stream of water from the sink to wash all the substrate out.

They're easy to clean with the pebbles in them. The water pushes the substrate out, just be careful the stream isn't too large and washes out the pebbles with it ;)

It's drying out here again so i'm having to refill water every other night. In the spring and rainy parts of the summer, or hot parts where i run the swamp cooler i wouldn't have to fill the dishes but like every 3 or 4 days.

Latest posts