• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Lone Tarantula Keeper

lonertopaz

Hey Hi Hello

My name is Amber. I am a tarantula enthusiast from SW MO and have been in the hobby actively (keeping spoods) for the past 5-7 years. I currently only have one, a female g. Pulchripes, and she has converted from pet rock to pet hole… I haven’t seen her for the better part of a month. I hope she molts soon and comes out all shiny and big. I decided to look for a new place to connect with tarantula keepers since Reddit was ending up to be a toxic place and the subreddit deviated from just tarantulas, which to me (and a couple others who got mocked/made fun of) is annoying. I hope to learn more and connect with like-minded individuals here, maybe even make a friend or two along the way. It is difficult for me to find friends in this hobby locally because I refuse to use Facebook anymore and that is really the only place to find “groups” in my area. If I get to see my girl soon and get a molt out of it I will be sure to share here!!

Thanks for reading,
lonertopaz

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome. Lots to read and people to talk with here. When your girl does come out with her new coat, or not, feel free to share a picture.

I have an adult female G. pulchripes who is slowing down a bit but who still manages to hustle to attack the water stream when I fill her water dish.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Amber and welcome. :)
You've found the right place now, we're a friendly bunch here.

lonertopaz

Welcome. Lots to read and people to talk with here. When your girl does come out with her new coat, or not, feel free to share a picture.

I have an adult female G. pulchripes who is slowing down a bit but who still manages to hustle to attack the water stream when I fill her water dish.
Thank you for such a warm welcome. I do hope she comes out soon, hahah.

To be honest, she wasn’t my first pick for a tarantula, but I’ve grown very fond of her. She’s never kicked hairs at me, but has attacked the tongs I use to get her water dish out of her enclosure. No attacking water yet, but that can always change. How old is your girl? Mine is about 4 years old and still not full grown.. She went on a hunger strike for a very long time and even longer (2+ years) without a molt.

lonertopaz

Hi Amber and welcome. :)
You've found the right place now, we're a friendly bunch here.
Thank you thank you!!

I’m really glad to have found this forum. I have Tom Moran to thank for that. After the experience that left a bad taste in my mouth with that subreddit, I Googled “tarantula groups” and his blog post about this forum was one of the first results. :) I’m thrilled to be here and can’t wait to see what all there is to read and look at!!!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for such a warm welcome. I do hope she comes out soon, hahah.

To be honest, she wasn’t my first pick for a tarantula, but I’ve grown very fond of her. She’s never kicked hairs at me, but has attacked the tongs I use to get her water dish out of her enclosure. No attacking water yet, but that can always change. How old is your girl? Mine is about 4 years old and still not full grown.. She went on a hunger strike for a very long time and even longer (2+ years) without a molt.
I bought her at 1.5 or so inches and have had her just under two years. She has grown a lot and I estimate her leg span about 4-5 inches. Here she is when I got her ( I scrawled a note to my sister who is afraid of spiders) and the other is from two months ago. The blue water dish is 3 inches long and almost as wide.
Edit: she was not my first choice, but she has been my favorite.

056A6704-E6A4-4F92-BBFA-8B811E051979.jpeg
5814FF71-C15E-4A3A-B086-037AD8C2ED74.jpeg

MBullock

3 Year Member
I dont like reddit either but for different reasons- they're always infested with shills for something.
And every once-in-a-while, a really BAD bot will waltz in and say horrible stuff lol.
I prefer this style of social interaction, really.. It allows alot more freedom- BBcode FTW!

Welcome

lonertopaz

I bought her at 1.5 or so inches and have had her just under two years. She has grown a lot and I estimate her leg span about 4-5 inches. Here she is when I got her ( I scrawled a note to my sister who is afraid of spiders) and the other is from two months ago. The blue water dish is 3 inches long and almost as wide.
Edit: she was not my first choice, but she has been my favorite.

View attachment 69866View attachment 69867
Ahhh so little!!! Mine was a little bit bigger at around 2-2.5” when I got her. Our girls look to be about the same size now. Wish mine hadn’t gone on a hunger strike for as long as she did cos I feel like it definitely stunted her growth…

lonertopaz

I dont like reddit either but for different reasons- they're always infested with shills for something.
And every once-in-a-while, a really BAD bot will waltz in and say horrible stuff lol.
I prefer this style of social interaction, really.. It allows alot more freedom- BBcode FTW!

Welcome
Yeah I’m getting to the point that Reddit as a whole is starting to lose its appeal for me. The only thing keeping me around I think is the Stardew Valley subs. They are definitely less toxic than most of the others I’ve been on.

Thank you!!! Happy to be here :)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Ahhh so little!!! Mine was a little bit bigger at around 2-2.5” when I got her. Our girls look to be about the same size now. Wish mine hadn’t gone on a hunger strike for as long as she did cos I feel like it definitely stunted her growth…
I have been fortunate. Besides a six week hibernation to molt she has eaten pretty well. No long term hunger strikes, yet, but I am sure that is coming.

lonertopaz

I have been fortunate. Besides a six week hibernation to molt she has eaten pretty well. No long term hunger strikes, yet, but I am sure that is coming.
Fortunate indeed, haha. I wonder if mine burrowing is her hibernating? Although she’s kept in a cabinet in our living room where we have a fireplace so she stays warm, so I’d be confused to say the least if she decided to hibernate… we’re going on 5 weeks now :/

Latest posts