• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thank you for everything, little boy. You we're an amazing dog.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Just got a message from my mom that our beloved family dog, Eppu, will be send on the journey to the rainbow bridge tomorrow :(

He was a Good boy. We got him when he was 9 months - Shy and fearful thing that looked like a polar bear. Bullied by the rest of a pack. For a male Hovawart (breed) he was too small, had small ears, and a pink heart-shaped nose. He was afraid of doors, kids, lawn mowers, cars... Everything. He ended up being the happiest little dog who loved everyone. He had one certain toy he couldn't live without - When it broke, we had to buy a new one, wrap the old one around it and keep them in a plastic bag so the scent etc. would stick to the new one.

He's only 9.5 years old, but due the degenerative condition the muscles in his backside are decaying so his hind legs don't work properly anymore. You can see in his eyes that he doesn't understand why running after his beloved toy is difficult.. Getting up from the floor is also getting harder day by day and so is walking as his legs keep getting crossed. Therefore it's his time to join our former dogs.

Thank you for everything lil chap. You were amazing and the most loving little boy. No more problems with legs or overly sensitive stomach. You'll always have a place in my heart ♥

c2370fbf3f.png

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry to read this @Nunua :(:(:(
this is such a hard thing to do-my heart and kind wishes go out to you,it sounds like he has had an amazing life and is very much loved and will be sorely missed:(

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear that, it's not a nice place to be. We had to make that decision about our 12 year old Standard Dachshund Dougal about 2 years ago. And in part for a very similar type of reason. Dachshunds are prone to back problems. But he also had dementia.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry to hear that, he won't be in pain anymore and will be able to lift his leg and pee on whatever he wants. I know how it is to lose a dog, I lost 3 in the last 6-7 years. One to parvo, one to poisoning, the other to old age and heart disease. It will be very tough, but you and your family will get through it.

Condolences

Nunua

3 Year Member
Thank you all. It breaks my heart but I know that he'll be unhappy if kept any longer.

@ilovebrachys - Yes, he had a good life and will be missed. He loved everyone and was loved by many.
@m0lsx & @Kaden Alexander - It's never an easy decision to do, even though at the same time you know doing what is right.
@PanzoN88 - Yeah, he still has plenty of exuberance and none of us wants to see it to fade away while he is stuck in a faulty body. He can't stand normally anymore because the hind legs can't support the weight well enough - He also can't control them well, which causes him to cross them and stumble around. Our previous dog has the same condition, our very first we lost to heart disease. Parvo and poisoning... Those are so unfair ways to go. Old age and problems I can somewhat accept.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
So sorry. My old friend who was a Springer spaniel cross, his back legs went + looking back I should have made the decision sooner.
He eventually just collapsed, almost like he'd had a stroke and was paralyzed.
It really sucks but you're doing him a kindness by not letting him get worse and really suffer.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
"The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross