• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terrestrial Suggestions

Richieha2012

Hey guys! I’ve been thinking about getting another T to add to my little collection. I have an Avicularia Avicularia currently, and am wanting to look at getting a terrestrial species for my second one. Any suggestions on good terrestrial species I can look at? I’d prefer more docile and easier to manage. I have had a rose hair before (not sure of the scientific name), but it’s been many years ago. Thank you all!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brachypelma hamorii, stays out in the open and never hides. It almost always has great feeding responses. A favorite among company or guests. The classic hobby tarantula
20210106_191218.jpg
20190105_162934.jpg
20190127_202920.jpg

Richieha2012

Thank you! I didn’t have an enclosure small enough, so I went and got a small critter keeper.

Attachments

• 432FB804-FD70-4E2B-9529-16D950A59BB6.jpeg
    432FB804-FD70-4E2B-9529-16D950A59BB6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 5CEF7044-6BCD-4D45-AE1C-0760E70E3E76.jpeg
    5CEF7044-6BCD-4D45-AE1C-0760E70E3E76.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
h
Wow bid is the sling.
Word of warning!
Critter keepers are not good for slings as lids have slats rather than holes and slings escape with ease.
Deli cups make great enclosures
Regards Konstantin

Richieha2012

Hi
h
Wow bid is the sling.
Word of warning!
Critter keepers are not good for slings as lids have slats rather than holes and slings escape with ease.
Deli cups make great enclosures
Regards Konstantin
Yeah, I made sure to check that before I put it in it. It is a sling, but it’s a larger sling. The slats are very close together on this smallest size enclosure so I don’t believe it’ll be possible for it to get out. It’s abdomen is much wider than the slats as well.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Tarantulas carapace is wider than it high thats why slats are not recommended for slings.
If the spider is able to push its carapace trough every thing else incliding the pliable abdomen will follow.
Hope you don't have any problems tho
Regards Konstantin

Richieha2012

Hey guys! Update! I did some more research into what DIY enclosures people made. I decided to move my G Pulchra into a acrylic container I got at Hobby Lobby! You can’t see it well in the picture, but I put holes in the top and the sides! It seems to be safer than the small Critter Keeper, and less of a hassle as well.

Attachments

• 3A9047DF-492A-4FE8-8714-BF22B09BD1AD.jpeg
    3A9047DF-492A-4FE8-8714-BF22B09BD1AD.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 12

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hey guys! Update! I did some more research into what DIY enclosures people made. I decided to move my G Pulchra into a acrylic container I got at Hobby Lobby! You can’t see it well in the picture, but I put holes in the top and the sides! It seems to be safer than the small Critter Keeper, and less of a hassle as well.
Much better enclosure.
While slings appreciate some moisture in the substrate G pulchra is not moisture dependent.Yours looks a little too wet atm.Let it dry a little bit and in future just overflow the water dish to give it moist corner
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts