• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terra, our T. blondi, discovery her new and final home :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
9D305177-B81F-45EF-A2C4-1A4F1AC07AB8.jpeg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Currently she is doing her “can I escape this place” round but it looks like she is enjoying the burrow I had set for her....the fern might get to live another day
what size (DLS) is she? Looks like in a 45x30x30? I have posted a couple of recent pics of my blondi twins on the gallery (media) section. They are both knocking on the door of 9.5 to 10 inch DLS.

For just a 'big plain brown spider' as they are often referred to, they are surprisingly pretty IMHO.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning Phil,
The tank is 24L, 18W and 12H (inches) (metric: 61cm, 46, 30).
Terra (my son named her) is still very young, her last molt was at 7 inches DLS but she stretched quite a bit since. We also have a sling aphophysis. A little over 20 years ago, when I was living in France, a friend coming back from a trip to French Guyana brought me back a sling blondi in a small match box. It was one of my very first tarantula and I loved her. She had a very bad molt just before adult size (back then I had no clue about the humidity they need) and lost a leg as well as both fangs!!!! I was lucky that she was a very good eater and she had plenty of reserve as her belly was still bigger than a golf ball after the molt. She went on to molt again fairly soon and the leg started to develop (skinny version) as well as two bulky but shorter fangs. She was able to start eating again. She molted once more fast and was pretty much looking like nothing happened except that she was becoming insanely large (probably due to her molting monthly after the bad molt). I had to give her away when I moved to the US, she went to an educational zoo/nature center where a friend was working and was going to take care of her. Do not listen to people who think they are just big brown spiders ;)
The Therophosa are some of the most difficult spiders to raise as they often need perfect conditions to pass the first year, but they are also very rewarding when they turn into beautiful and colossal beauties and in the case of the two I already had, they are not aggressive at all.
My son and I might have over 30 Ts, Terra is by far one of our favorite and the one that fascinate my son the most.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good morning Phil,
The tank is 24L, 18W and 12H (inches) (metric: 61cm, 46, 30).
Terra (my son named her) is still very young, her last molt was at 7 inches DLS but she stretched quite a bit since. We also have a sling aphophysis. A little over 20 years ago, when I was living in France, a friend coming back from a trip to French Guyana brought me back a sling blondi in a small match box. It was one of my very first tarantula and I loved her. She had a very bad molt just before adult size (back then I had no clue about the humidity they need) and lost a leg as well as both fangs!!!! I was lucky that she was a very good eater and she had plenty of reserve as her belly was still bigger than a golf ball after the molt. She went on to molt again fairly soon and the leg started to develop (skinny version) as well as two bulky but shorter fangs. She was able to start eating again. She molted once more fast and was pretty much looking like nothing happened except that she was becoming insanely large (probably due to her molting monthly after the bad molt). I had to give her away when I moved to the US, she went to an educational zoo/nature center where a friend was working and was going to take care of her. Do not listen to people who think they are just big brown spiders ;)
The Therophosa are some of the most difficult spiders to raise as they often need perfect conditions to pass the first year, but they are also very rewarding when they turn into beautiful and colossal beauties and in the case of the two I already had, they are not aggressive at all.
My son and I might have over 30 Ts, Terra is by far one of our favorite and the one that fascinate my son the most.
View attachment 48215
great story there. Enjoyed reading it. :)

Got all the "big 3" but Blondi are my fave from those. I never did listen to the big brown argument as there is beauty in all of the tarantulas.

I wish my kids would show interest. I have over 300 atm that would be up on a for sale last as soon as I am dust if they had their way....LOL

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
great story there. Enjoyed reading it. :)

Got all the "big 3" but Blondi are my fave from those. I never did listen to the big brown argument as there is beauty in all of the tarantulas.

I wish my kids would show interest. I have over 300 atm that would be up on a for sale last as soon as I am dust if they had their way....LOL
Put me on your will :D

Latest posts