• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temps in tank

jon b

3 Year Member
Hi. Was hoping to get a bit of advice on temps.

The housing is a exo terra 30x30x30 but will upscale later.

Substrate is cocount fibre.

Using digital thermometer and hydrometer

Im concerned about maintaining 29c in the tank. I know the care sheets are only a guideline but i want to get near to this. It is currently only maintaining 24c. I was wondering what my options may be. Heat mat currently using is 14w. I do not have the spider in the tank yet as it is too small for it.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
May I inquire as what species?
I avoid heat mats for individual enclosures. I do, however, have one in the slingubator, regulated with a digital t'stat and a PC fan for circulation. That being said, what type of control device is being used to regulate your heat mat and where is its current placement?

jon b

3 Year Member
hi i am enquiring on my Psalmopoeus irminia - Venezuelan Sun Tiger

i have a habistat controller, the heat mat is currently on the ouside against the let side

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
hi i am enquiring on my Psalmopoeus irminia - Venezuelan Sun Tiger

i have a habistat controller, the heat mat is currently on the ouside against the let side

Your placement of heat mat is good, as long as the spider can move towards or away from the heat source to choose its preferred temp. Using a controller is also a good ideal as it prevents heater failure from cooking our critters if it goes full on (happens often in fish tanks).

Aside from heating your enclosure directly, a micro climate, like in a closet or cabinet, can be a great way to keep several species enclosures' with similar needs for temp in one controlled space; the humidity of each enclosure can be individually maintained.

vector

3 Year Member
Your placement of heat mat is good, as long as the spider can move towards or away from the heat source to choose its preferred temp. Using a controller is also a good ideal as it prevents heater failure from cooking our critters if it goes full on (happens often in fish tanks).

Aside from heating your enclosure directly, a micro climate, like in a closet or cabinet, can be a great way to keep several species enclosures' with similar needs for temp in one controlled space; the humidity of each enclosure can be individually maintained.
Yess! in the closet is where i keep my pinktoe . warm and dark

Latest posts