1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperature of enclosure

Discussion in 'Avicularia' started by PinkT, Sep 2, 2017.

1. PinkT

PinkT Member

So I've taken over taking care of my daughter's T since December. She has always had a night red reptile lamp on the enclosure 24/7. With summer I started turning it off completely. With temps dropping I now have it on a timer and have raised the level where is is higher from the glass.Temps since I got a thermometer go up to 78 degrees. She seems to comes out on her ledge to bask in it's warmth.

Last night I had the timer go off at 4 am. This morning her enclosure was down to 68 degrees. It was 41 outside. I found her for the first time on the glass almost trying to go up to the lamp. I put the heat on in the house and it raised up to 72. Leaving for work, heat is off. Hope with the temps going up she will be fine.

From what I have been reading, 68 should be fine but I think she is spoiled with the lamp. She is always on her ledge soaking in the heat.

2nd pic is after the enclosure warmed up a bit. 3rd pic is how the tank looks with the lamp. She is on her ledge. This was a few days after her molt.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Venom2090

Venom2090 Member

It's more important to have good ventilation. Stuffy cages are the bane of the genus.
  3. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

if you're comfy in a t-shirt in the room they'll be fine. i keep mine from 72-82 year round, summer time they're on the upper end, winter on the lower. occasional drops below 70 won't hurt them.

Like @Venom2090 said ventilation is key for avics (and what where formerly known as avics). Many think SAD (Sudden Avic Death) syndrome was caused by poor ventilation.
    PinkT and Venom2090 like this.
  4. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member

I keep mine at 80. They love it, not to hot or cold. They are growing like weeds. The versicolor might even be going into premolt AGAIN!! It seems like she just molted yesterday.

Others have had good luck with room temps like 75 etc.
    PinkT likes this.
  5. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

I keep ten C. versicolor at 70F on mostly dry substrate. I overfill the water dish once a week. Lamps can be very detrimental to tarantulas, and one of the best known and educated keepers in our hobby (Tom Moran of Tom's Big Spiders) says that using a heat lamp is a HUGE no-no. I've never used a heat lamp, and never will. I've kept over 100 Ts in my time, and currently care for over 50.
    PinkT likes this.
  6. PinkT

PinkT Member

So my new A. versicolor is a sling in a very small container there is no room for a water dish yet. I do place a few drops on their web a few times a week. Actually caught him/her drinking off the web twice yesterday. Now I'm thinking maybe I should do this more often.

Any thoughts on this? Slings can be more of a challenge. Hope he/she molts soon.
  7. Venom2090

Venom2090 Member

I'd just rehouse into a bigger cage. I've raised half inch avics in 16oz deli cups.
    Miss Moxie likes this.
  8. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

I am actually raising all 10 of mine in a 20 oz. plastic jar set I bought from Amazon. Certainly, keep misting the web to provide them water. Or you could get something so you could drip a few droplets onto the substrate if you find that it bolts. A lot of Ts bolt when you mist close to them, I think this is likely because it might feel awful close to a predator's breath.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PinkT likes this.
  9. Venom2090

Venom2090 Member

I don't think so. I think it's because their primary sensory organ is being basically completely overwhelmed by all the tiny water droplets.
  10. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

Okay fine.

It's like a predator's sneeze then. ;)
  11. Whitelightning777

My Versicolor is like a walking thermostat. If it's 80 degrees, she's there. When I point the thermometer at her it's practically right on the money. It's actually spooky!!

If I turn the light up, she goes down and vice versa. The only thing that gets her to deviate is a gentle breeze, which gets a happy dance each time.

It's adorable!!

Here's the device I use. Hold it as course to the tarantula as possible pointing directly at it and let her rip!!

I have a sneaky suspicion that she's in premolt again but probably too soon...I think...

Of course, each animal is an individual and stereotypes are seldom totally accurate. I think my Versicolor is a weirdo, not sure why just a gut feeling. 20170924_122639.jpg

It's pointed at my hand not the sling. Eg. The joke is it my hand!!
  12. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

I'd disregard WL777's advice, if I were you. Just read this page.

13. Whitelightning777

Setup versicolor 1.jpg
    I agree but my roommate has severe fibromyalgia, making that a non starter. My heat lamps are at least 8" away from the top making hot spots impossible. They are NOT sitting on the roof!! It's impossible for the so
  14. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

We've already had this discussion WL777. ;) You eventually admitted you were just doing it that way for no reason other than you want to, and I provided you with a ton of evidence as to why it shouldn't be done. Unfortunately that thread got deleted.

OP, Tom Moran has a ton of experience with hundreds of tarantulas, and is a very nice guy. You can even contact him via his website and he'll talk to you one on one.
    Whitelightning777 likes this.
  15. Whitelightning777

I'd love to do the room!! It just can't be done sadly enough. The power is set by rheostat switch which is very very gentle.

I can put my hand on the lid and it's just slightly warm, utterly impossible to do any damage. It would still be too cold for me to take a shower!!

I have a point and shoot thermometer and I can get it from every angle to to bottom. They always have a full water dish and name shaded locations, which are never used.

I'd love to have a green house, some land and a garage but condo living nixes that.

Electric heaters are extremely dangerous in a bathroom and I don't wanna die anytime soon.
  16. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

Then stop giving your advice to others when you keep saying "My situation is so unique!! I am exempt because those ways won't work for me, my situation is UNIQUE." because if it's so unique then that means it's not good general advice. OP's situation is likely NOT the exact same as yours, so stop telling them to do what you do.
    Venom2090 likes this.
  17. Whitelightning777

That's true. It depends on how your living space is set up. I can't be the only one with that floor plan or special needs person.
  18. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

I'm personally disabled and suffer from arthritis and chronic pain. I keep my Ts at 70F because I like it colder too. I still don't use it as a reason to do something pretty much every T-keeper worth their salt say not to.
    Dustin Amack likes this.
  19. PinkT

PinkT Member

I do have a microthermic space heater I have used on those nights it was in the 40's. I keep it on the lowest setting. Our house is older and the heater so far has been fine. Winter temps the room will be cooler. My supplier said room temps should be fine without any supplemental heating. Hope my A.versicolor sling goes through a molt before the temps drop for good in late fall/winter.

She drank the lower drop of water overnight in the pic. Hope to rehouse soon when I find the right enclosure to add a water bowl and space to work in.

Attached Files:

Miss Moxie likes this.
  20. Miss Moxie

Miss Moxie Member

Perfect. Ambient room temperature is the best way of providing heat for our eight-legged friends. I live in an older house as well, it really can get cold quickly. In the winter I use an infrared heater. Just be aware that with any supplemental heat, you'll have to keep an eye on the water dish more as it can dry up quickly.
    PinkT likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted