• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tea bottle as enclosure?

Meme_Wizard

3 Year Member
34c9cff0

After a very hard battle, i've finally convinced the mum to allow me to keep a T as a pet. So as I stalk the market for a cheap A. Versicolor sling or another interesting aboreal for a cheap price, I keep an eye out for things to house it in.
Would this bottle be too big to keep a sling/juvie in? I'd be very upset to wake up and find it killed by a fall.

Attached also is a pic of something i've been thinking about using to house a terrestrial if i get one.
1484457787191628306049.jpg
14844578477361901072505.jpg

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
with enough substrate a fall would be of little concern.. it can be dangerous but if the substrate fills -almost 1/2 I'd leave it a bit under 1/2 myself- then the T's main concern is hunting his/her prey you dont want a sling struggling to find its food (be sure to add a sterile stick for it to use and a piece of sterile bark for it to hide behind.. as a sling the hide can be small enough for thd tea bottle)

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I thinknit would be fine. No problem in saving money reusing bottles like this, but it wouldn't be the best if a versi decides to web up to top so you can't get the cap off without destroying web.

I'm sure that bottle would work, but if you can afford it here are a couple of suggestions.

Option one is to buy a small arboreal enclosure from jamiestarsntulas.com. She also has versi slings in stock. The enclosure comes with substrate and a cork bark hide. Its ehst I have for my versi sling and its awesome. Also you can order slider and enclosure at the same time and save on shipping.

Option 2, the Container Store has AMAC boxes for about $2. I see you are in Beaumont so a container store may not be easy access. The AMAC is the exact same as the Jamies enclosure, except you have to drill vent holes yourself.

Up to you, but if you can I'd get a Jamie's enclosure and order a versi sling at the same time.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I've heard a lot of positive reviews for jamiestarantulas but I'm not a fan of those enclosures I prefer the exo terra or zoo med (zoo med is my personal preference) but until your T is large enough for that enclosure a 32oz deli container would work. someone on here suggested the deli container set up for slings so I figured I should pass it on :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamie's enclosure are fine for slings, i have a bunch of them i've used for all my slings. That tea bottle is a bit big i think for a sling. If you have a container store (www.containerstore.com) nearby you can get amac boxes for a couple bucks a piece that will work perfectly, they're what Jamie makes her enclosures from.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-amac-boxes/d?productId=10003497&q=amac

I'd go with the 2-5/16" sq. x 6-3/16" h box to start, then when the sling as about 1" or 1.5" DLS move it into the 3-7/16" sq. x 6-5/16" h box. Then when it's about 3" dls you can move it into that tea bottle.

You'll need a drill to drill vent holes on at least 2 sides. cross ventilation is key with Avic's. You'll want to build the enclosure "upside down" so the substrate is in the lid, then you won't mess up any of the webs when you open it for feeding/watering.

here's an example of one of my early avic enclosures. You'll want the vent holes to go from top to bottom though, i added more vent holes after i took this pic.
http://www.tarantulaforum.com/attachments/20160107_174315-1-jpg.13499/

So vent holes for cross ventilation, and anchor points (sticks, leaves, etc.) for the Avic to build their web hammocks and tunnels on and you're all set.

Latest posts