• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula wont eat

Paranomal

Hello,

I one of my Tarantulas is acting a bit strange i think. My aphonopelma chalcodes hasnt eaten for a while now. Once every several days I try to feed her. The weird thing is, when I drop a superworm she does react to it. When it starts to dig she will dig him out but once she does that she wont actually bite and eat the prey item.. like she is scared to actually bite it.

I know tarantulas can go quite a while without food but the fact that she tries to eat but fails concers me a bit.

Anyone knows what I should do or has experience with this kind of behaviour?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Do you know when she last moulted? Also, what size is she? if you're feeding every few days, chances are she's curious about the vibrations in her tank the worm is making, but just not hungry enough to eat it.

James1975

Hello,

I one of my Tarantulas is acting a bit strange i think. My aphonopelma chalcodes hasnt eaten for a while now. Once every several days I try to feed her. The weird thing is, when I drop a superworm she does react to it. When it starts to dig she will dig him out but once she does that she wont actually bite and eat the prey item.. like she is scared to actually bite it.

I know tarantulas can go quite a while without food but the fact that she tries to eat but fails concers me a bit.

It may be in premolt or like @jess said may not be hungry my a cholcodes doesn't always eat and I feed mine once a week.its nothing to worry about.

Nunua

3 Year Member
When it starts to dig she will dig him out but once she does that she wont actually bite and eat the prey item.. like she is scared to actually bite it.

I'd say she's not trying to eat the prey item, but get to know what it is. Tarantulas have incredible ability to sense vibrations and they usually just want to be sure that the vibrations they do feel are not concerning.

Paranomal

I dont know the last molt, because she had never molted while I had her. I have her about 3-4 months now and 3weeks ago was she first (and only) time she had eaten.. also she didnt really eat the worm fully but more the half of it.

Attachments

• 389829BA-3AEC-4155-9A9A-D9BB0361BC33.jpeg
    389829BA-3AEC-4155-9A9A-D9BB0361BC33.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Paranomal

So when I got her I thought she was in premolt cause she didnt eat for 2 months thats why I was suprised she eat a couple of weeks ago.. but only once

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i wouldnt be concerned at all. looks health just doesnt want to eat is all.. when i fist got my campestratus she didnt eat for 6 months. chalcodes is a known bad eater so id personally start offering it food every other week to save yourself on feeders (i dunno how many Ts you have or if its your only) itll be fine for the next 2 years or so , just make sure its hydrated

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hello,

Hi and welcome to the club.

I bought AF Aphonopelma chalcodes in October 2019 and Im yet to see it eat.I have doubts she ate once but not sure.According to my info she is fasting since August last year. She likes to slap the feeders tho.lol.
As suggested above just keep the water bowl full but dont overfolw it these are arid species and while they can handle some moisture mine really enjoys dry substrate.On the bright side mine is out and about most of the time.haha
Regards Konstantin

Paranomal

Ah well seems like I was too concerned after all then. At least good to know she looks fine. I currently have two T’s. Another is a Brachypelma Hamorii.. also not a great eater I was wondering how you think she looks (fat/normal/skinny) just to be sure haha

Attachments

• 1B974ABD-6587-44BB-A376-A1E63EE81E1C.jpeg
    1B974ABD-6587-44BB-A376-A1E63EE81E1C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Ah well seems like I was too concerned after all then. At least good to know she looks fine. I currently have two T’s. Another is a Brachypelma Hamorii.. also not a great eater I was wondering how you think she looks (fat/normal/skinny) just to be sure haha

She looks absolutely fine, stunning actually. My 1st thought is she has the look of a B smithi lol

E

ExMember

How can you guys tell? The only thing I thought is that smithi gets a little bit bigger?

If you look on the legs of a hamorii it has one orange/red segment. The other ones match the toes. On a smithi(ex annitha) they have one segment thats orange/red. Then the next one is orange. Last 2 match the toes.

The carapace on a hamorii is darker than most smithi but not always. Smithi may have a lighter carapace but the same thing applies. I may be strange but a lighter smithi seems to look more dog like to me?!?!

I have a red knee sub adult that I am unsure of because the second band sometimes looks white and sometimes looks orange depending on the angle/lighting. I guess I'll wait for it to molt!