• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula tank setup ?

iIMadIi

3 Year Member
im getting a new tarantula after mine sadly died, well im going to try my hand at having plants ( mother in law tongue and maybe a fern) but what tarantula can be put with it ..

also I will be having a uvb light on the tank for light and heat

Ps: I messed up on the subject so sorry about that

Last edited:

Thivo

3 Year Member
Hi ilMadli and welcome to the forum... I guess you want to have a nice landscapes of your enclosures... On my own opinion, if you like to add those plants, I suggest look for some T's which is from tropical area... There are lots of T's specie from South America and Asia...Check the Brachypelma albopilosum which is very docile and Grammostola Pulchra for terrestrial and then for arboreal, check the data of Avicularia Versicolor or Avicularia avicularia... I hope it will help you to choose or gives you and idea on what you prefer for a planted enclosure for your T's...

iIMadIi

3 Year Member
so the Grammostola Pulchra and Brachypelma albopilosum would do fine in something like that ?

what about the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and Brachypelma smithi and Avicularia avicularia ?

Thivo

3 Year Member
so the Grammostola Pulchra and Brachypelma albopilosum would do fine in something like that ?

what about the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and Brachypelma smithi and Avicularia avicularia ?

Yeah.... G. Pulchra and B.Albo is best for beginners as well you can enclosed them in a Planted Terrarium...

But for GBB, somehow it can be as long as you have an enough space for your Plant and as well for your T's to roam around...

For B.smithi which habitat is from savanna, scrubland and your snake plants are ferns mostly needed to be watered...

For Avic.Avicularia... They are arboreal, so it will be fine for them specially with the snake plant that has wide and tall leaves...

I suggest if your really wanted to put those plants in your terrarium, you will need a bigger one... Transfer those plants into small pot and place those inside the terrarium including the pot, then add more coco peat for your substrate, vermiculite and dried moss... Place your plants in one corner and your water dish near to it, so that when you water your plant, only in that area will be more wet and the rest will be dry... Add some wood, bark for hide and always monitor the temperature and humidity...

Hope it will help you and give you ideas...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have some live plants in several enclosures but have been slowly thinning them out. The maintenance can become an issue. However, if you are determined to have live plants mixed with your T's, I would recommend selecting tropical species that require high humidity levels and decent temps. The plants thrive in these settings. Another recommendation would be to select a burrowing species. Let the spider make the burrow first then add the plants later. You can plant around the enclosure to make sure the burrow does not interfere with the root system. These T's generally do now wander as much so won't damage the plants as often as more active species. Lastly, I would avoid webbers (like the GBB) as, in time, the webs will overtake the plants, impact the health of the plants and create a mess.

If you have a large enough enclosure, arboreals are a good bet too but seems like they eventually find the plants and the webbing could be an issue.

Latest posts