• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula pacing around (Brachypelma smithi)

ayxsia

I've had this about 3 year old tarantula for over 7 months now. Everything has been perfectly fine and I've used the same substrate. She has always stayed on it and never climbed further than on top of the hide. Almost two days ago i saw her walking on walls and even the ceiling. This continued for hours and I had to move her to a little bit smaller box because I was so scared that she could fall while being upside down... I thought that maybe the substrate had gotten damp so i put new dry substrate to the box she's in now. It has been another day and she's still pacing around. I thought she's looking for food but she won't eat. I ordered different type of substrate and I have to wait for it to come. I'm really worried and don't know what more I can do at this moment. It's so hard to watch her be uncomfortable. She basically walks on the walls all the time only taking small breaks. Please any help!!

And yes during this time I've probably read every single article and thread about this behaviour but just desperate to get ANY tips

Tarantulafeets

Welcome to the forum!
First off, if a tarantula wants to walk on the wall, it can walk on the wall ;) . It doesn't necessarily mean that it is uncomfortable, but moving it to a completely new environment doesn't make it better, as it doesn't know its surroundings as well. It can also be a mature male, simply looking for a mate. Can you provide a picture of the enclosure and the tarantula? MM will have tibial hooks on the first pair of legs and boxing gloves on their pedipalps.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a penultimate L. dificilis male who is nearly 8' DLS. He loves to walk on the ceiling (metal mesh at that!). Has never once fallen (big body wouldn't do well) and has never gotten stuck. sometimes Ts like to roam around near their "burrow". I wouldn't worry.

ayxsia

Kinda forgot about this thread. But I think it's all good now. I just added substrate so there's no danger to fall. Hasn't even been climbing today! Thanks y'all

Attachments

• 4AF4B2B3-8AB4-46D8-810A-528099609AF0.jpeg
    4AF4B2B3-8AB4-46D8-810A-528099609AF0.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13