• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula not drinking after molting

Katforbes

Hello! Our tarantula molted for the first time on Feb 26th. Since then he’s pretty much stayed in the same place in his tank and rotates from side to side, up and down but hasn’t moved other than that. As far as we can tell he hasn’t had any of his water either. Is that normal? We thought he would look for his water shortly after molting and that it was important for him to drink after the molting process. Should we be worried???

Soulman

You can always just the housing,but yes I have noticed this. I've shared my home with some eight leg and 2 dangerous things

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
As long as you have a water dish available, that is within easy reach of your t (i.e. sunken level into the substrate so it doesn't have to perform acrobatics), it should be fine. It will take a drink when thirsty.

There is a lot of fluid on the shed exuvia itself, and tarantulas seem to like to drink that (eeugh!), which is why people think their t has chewed it's moult. It hasn't, it was getting the moisture out.

What tarantula do you have?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They like acrobatics.... :D
20200126_124512.jpg

E

ExMember

Definitely keep fresh water available post molt. I wouldn't be too worried about it not drinking. Just went through this with my Pterinopelma sazimai. It moulted and didn't come out of it's burrow for a couple of weeks. It's fine now. @Jess S maybe it consumed enough fluid from it's moult?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Definitely keep fresh water available post molt. I wouldn't be too worried about it not drinking. Just went through this with my Pterinopelma sazimai. It moulted and didn't come out of it's burrow for a couple of weeks. It's fine now. @Jess S maybe it consumed enough fluid from it's moult?

Exactly, I've had burrowers stay hidden like that too. And as @menavodi hints at, they could well be accessing their water when we're not around to notice, just not needing to drink enough to make the levels seem to go down, or even getting moisture from the substrate. I also notice that they often have a big drink prior to moulting which can sustain them through :)