• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Newbe

Lilmomma

Hello everyone, I'm a mom of 3 teenagers, 2 feline furbabies that are fixed and really good natured kitties, but now a tarantula as well! We live Indiana and I can't believe I let my daughter get a tarantula yesterday!
She will be 18 this year but has always been a lover of all animals since she started walking, never owning a doll, but fascinated with DINOSAURS since She was about 1. Had quite the collection, wanted and eventually owned any and all types of learning material she could get by the time she was in 2nd or 3rd grade. She stayed with a childhood friend yesterday evening and texted me early this afternoon asking if she can keep a tarantula that her friend's brother had but apparently he lost interest and stopped taking care of it. Her plea stated that she would love it with all her heart, make sure it wouldn't get out, and was very worried that it would die if she didn't take it.
Now I have always been somewhat uncomfortable with spiders, and yes the bigger they are the more uncomfortable they make me, but I'm also aware that all I would need to do is step on one if I had to, well at least the typical spiders around our neck of the woods, but I think it's more physiological for me then anything. I will tell ya though, to hear the surprise and excitement in her voice was totally an awesome mom moment for me for sure. I was thankful it wasn't the boa constrictor or python she was asking for that she's wanted, mad at us for not letting her have one, and always wanting to argue with us for not letting her have one. Yes I was definitely anxious but somewhat a little excited to get her home and make her as our new fur-baby.addition. We had a friend of ours give us a terrarium over this past summer and had a heating pad, hiding rock, a heating rock, and a fossilized branch with it as well. Honestly we couldn't have come across it at a better time really, wasn't planning on using it or didn't really want to keep it but glad we did.
My husband took a small piece of wood, drilled a hole in it, and placed a piece of sponge in it for her to be able to drink from after learning about their habitats and concern. I never would have thought they could easily be injured or possibly die from a fall especially when being handled, and will be included in the many discussions we'll end up having for sure. So with all that being said we're hoping to learn all the information we can, as well as any pointers you want to share with us would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday seasons, many thanks☺

Loretta, Shelby,
and newest eight legged family member, Dart
P.s. will try to add more pictures

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone, I'm a mom of 3 teenagers, 2 feline furbabies that are fixed and really good natured kitties, but now a tarantula as well! We live Indiana and I can't believe I let my daughter get a tarantula yesterday!
She will be 18 this year but has always been a lover of all animals since she started walking, never owning a doll, but fascinated with DINOSAURS since She was about 1. Had quite the collection, wanted and eventually owned any and all types of learning material she could get by the time she was in 2nd or 3rd grade. She stayed with a childhood friend yesterday evening and texted me early this afternoon asking if she can keep a tarantula that her friend's brother had but apparently he lost interest and stopped taking care of it. Her plea stated that she would love it with all her heart, make sure it wouldn't get out, and was very worried that it would die if she didn't take it.
Now I have always been somewhat uncomfortable with spiders, and yes the bigger they are the more uncomfortable they make me, but I'm also aware that all I would need to do is step on one if I had to, well at least the typical spiders around our neck of the woods, but I think it's more physiological for me then anything. I will tell ya though, to hear the surprise and excitement in her voice was totally an awesome mom moment for me for sure. I was thankful it wasn't the boa constrictor or python she was asking for that she's wanted, mad at us for not letting her have one, and always wanting to argue with us for not letting her have one. Yes I was definitely anxious but somewhat a little excited to get her home and make her as our new fur-baby.addition. We had a friend of ours give us a terrarium over this past summer and had a heating pad, hiding rock, a heating rock, and a fossilized branch with it as well. Honestly we couldn't have come across it at a better time really, wasn't planning on using it or didn't really want to keep it but glad we did.
My husband took a small piece of wood, drilled a hole in it, and placed a piece of sponge in it for her to be able to drink from after learning about their habitats and concern. I never would have thought they could easily be injured or possibly die from a fall especially when being handled, and will be included in the many discussions we'll end up having for sure. So with all that being said we're hoping to learn all the information we can, as well as any pointers you want to share with us would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday seasons, many thanks☺

Loretta, Shelby,
and newest eight legged family member, Dart
P.s. will try to add more pictures
Welcome to the forum, I'm from Indiana as well (now in Ohio). I won't mention corrections here, but I noticed a few changes you may want to make in your tarantulas enclosure.

Again, welcome and I encourage you both to feel free to ask questions, we will be more than happy to help if we can.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the hobby. :)
Just one thing I will say is get rid of the sponge, they harbour bacteria, all your Tarantula needs is a water bowl.

Lilmomma

1208190821.jpg
1208190526b_1575801656867.jpg
1208190821.jpg
15758116502001483288878.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I'm from Indiana as well (now in Ohio). I won't mention corrections here, but I noticed a few changes you may want to make in your tarantulas enclosure.

Again, welcome and I encourage you both to feel free to ask questions, we will be more than happy to help if we can.
Hello and welcome to the hobby. :)
Just one thing I will say is get rid of the sponge, they harbour bacteria, all your Tarantula needs is a water bowl.
Hi there, I was kinda wandering about that so thsnk you for tip thank you

Again, welcome and I encourage you both to feel free to ask questions, we will be more than happy to help if we can.o
Hi there and thank you, I haven't gotten pics of the inside of he terrarium yet. I took pics of what I have in my crafting room and don't have pics of the set up that.but do red help on bedding

Attachments

• 1575811307202-1566716582.jpg
    1575811307202-1566716582.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

Lilmomma

I definitely appreciate any info you are willing to share. I don't know anything about tarantulas

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there and thank you, I haven't gotten pics of the inside of he terrarium yet. I took pics of what I have in my crafting room and don't have pics of the set up that.but do red help on bedding

You don't say what species the tarantula is but they all do just fine on coco fibre

Lilmomma

I did find out a lot about the coco bedding material and it was the most talked about no matter what site I went to. Do you recommend a certain site or seller?

Lilmomma

I've got to log out for awhile but intend to log back in after bit. Thanks so much for your feed back and getting your responsess ☺

Lilmomma

I definitely appreciate any info you are willing to share. I don't know anything about tarantulas

You don't say what species the tarantula is but they all do just fine on coco fibre
Hi there and thank you

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll find tarantulas are probably the most simple creatures to raise. A 99% of caresheets you find on the web are very inaccurate.

I did find out a lot about the coco bedding material and it was the most talked about no matter what site I went to. Do you recommend a certain site or seller?
For buying coco fiber? You can get bags or bricks from your local pet store. If you're talking about getting more tarantulas, then @Austin S. Is the best seller around.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome.

You definitely don't need the heating pad or rock. They are more for reptiles and can be dangerous to use for tarantulas, for all but the highly experienced. Basically, tarantulas can snuggle too close to them, not realise they are beginning to overheat and dehydrate, and will stay put until they die.

Normal room temperature is just fine, i.e. anything from the upper 60's to the mid 80's. If you really need additional heating and don't want to turn your home's heating up, the safest way is to buy a little space heater.

If you post a picture of your new 'fur baby' someone here will help identify it, for sure.

Latest posts