• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula mishaps.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was on the site that shall not be mentioned, looking at funny bite reports, and remembered a post I saw once where a guy had an hmac escape in his house. I remembered laughing until tears came, because the dude was obviously terrified, and trying to hide it by saying his wife had asthma or some nonsense. I've got a huge grin on my face right now, just thinking about it..anyway, has anyone got any tarantula mishap stories? Funny, scary, whatever? I'd like to hear them. Read them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One morning about a year ago, my son shouted to me to say I had a T on the loose in the living room. Lo and behold, 6' up the wall was Kofi, my H. mac, yes, another H.mac escapee, just sitting perfectly still making him easy to cup and return to his home. The big mystery was how he got out in the 1st place, We can only think he'd dashed passed me when I topped his water up 2 days before which meant he'd avoided being spotted by us or the 5 cats for all that time.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I let my p.pulcher out with out knowing, I thought she had escaped to begin with, couldn't see her anywhere. I panicked and took everything off my T shelf in hopes I could find her quickly. After that decided to over look the enclosure one more time. I took her hide out and placed it on my shelf while I got a better look, still nothing. Then I look up and she's perched on her piece of bark on the top shelf and could've easily bolted on me. Thankfully wasn't a true escape but I was a nervous reck for that hour and felt really dumb.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I have a P. irminia who is about 2.5 - 3 inches. She is kept in one of those tall peanut butter pretzel containers with the black screw on lid. Last December I was doing my weekend feeding and unscrewed her lid, I didn't see her so I figured she was in her webbing so I just dropped a red runner in and screwed the lid back on.
When I was finished with the feeding I went downstairs and my wife asked me why there was a T on the back of my shoulder. I guess what had happened is when I took off the lid she was under the lid and since she and the lid are black I didn't see her. She must have run up my arm and I didn't feel her since I was wearing a sweatshirt.
I guess you could call her an escapee with me as her accomplice.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i unpacked a delivery of Ts-and one of which was a OBT sling...super fast and super tiny,as I undone the sling vial it shot up my arm and disappeared
I thought that's it its gone,couldnt find it anywhere then I saw in the mirror it was on my head!
I called my brother to try and catch it but it had gone in my hair and was nowhere to be seen so all I could do was wait.....an hour or so later it appeared so caught it as quick as I could:eek: having an OBT sling running through your hair is a memorable experience and not one I want to repeat!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I first got into the hobby around a year ago I bought a few slings and one was a H chilensis. Much much smaller than I thought it would be and The enclosure I used had holes that were bigger than I would use now but still small enough (I thought) that nothing would escape. You can see where this is going. Had a look in the enclosure in the morning and couldn't see anything. Paranoid I started looking through the sub. Nothing. Long story short there's an escaped sling somewhere in a house I no longer live in. My room was above the boiler so nice and warm even during them cold winter months.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i unpacked a delivery of Ts-and one of which was a OBT sling...super fast and super tiny,as I undone the sling vial it shot up my arm and disappeared
I thought that's it its gone,couldnt find it anywhere then I saw in the mirror it was on my head!
I called my brother to try and catch it but it had gone in my hair and was nowhere to be seen so all I could do was wait.....an hour or so later it appeared so caught it as quick as I could:eek: having an OBT sling running through your hair is a memorable experience and not one I want to repeat!
Lmao..I have to say, sling or not, I would never want an obt trapped in my hair..I've had two different poecis teleport onto me, and while I've never been afraid of spiders at all, and they showed no aggression, it is a kind of sphincter tightening event, knowing the pain they can put on you :D Luckily, they sensed they were in the presence of the tarantula master..o_O

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Decades ago when I was 20, I had a huge party at my apartment. One of my friends was scared to death of tarantulas and I had 10 or so back then. After hours of pounding booze and smoking weed it was time to call it a night. I told my friend he could crash on the couch.
Right next to my couch I had a 10 gallon tank with a huge B. Smithi...the real deal, not a hamorii. I had a heavy duty wire top on this thing...like chicken wire. I also had a potted plant one Top of it so she couldn't get out. I gave my friend a pillow and blanket and he couldn't stop looking at the tank as he laid there. He kept asking...is she going to get me? She was standing up against the glass. I told him no...as I laughed and went to my room.
About 4:30 in the morning I hear a scream....
I run out into the living room and my friend is perched on my living room table.
Shes out!!!
Sure enough, someone moved my plant and I never noticed. I looked for her none stop for 2 days. I had to abandon the search because I had to go to work. Now I didnt have much stuff in my place...that's what was confusing. She was a solid 7"+ spider...not some tiny spider.
About a week later I get a page on my pager (911) it was my apartment phone number. I call my apartment and my room mate says "shes out what do I do?" I told him to set a bowl on top of her and I'll grab her when i get home.
Apparently he was sitting on the floor playing video games and was getting cold. He reached over and turned on the baseboard heater. About one minute after he did that she jumped out of the bottom of it and landed between his legs. She built a nice little web nest up inside there and i couldn't see her.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another mishap for me was with my "docile " Avicularia pinktoe. For years and years we played this game, I'd open her enclosure to do maintenance and she would jump onto my arm. One day she jumped onto my arm but started to slip. As she slid down my arm she sunk her fangs into me. I do believe it was a dry bite and the only reason she was sliding was that she was in early stages of premolt...maybe?? There wasn't any pain after the initial bite.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Decades ago when I was 20, I had a huge party at my apartment. One of my friends was scared to death of tarantulas and I had 10 or so back then. After hours of pounding booze and smoking weed it was time to call it a night. I told my friend he could crash on the couch.
Right next to my couch I had a 10 gallon tank with a huge B. Smithi...the real deal, not a hamorii. I had a heavy duty wire top on this thing...like chicken wire. I also had a potted plant one Top of it so she couldn't get out. I gave my friend a pillow and blanket and he couldn't stop looking at the tank as he laid there. He kept asking...is she going to get me? She was standing up against the glass. I told him no...as I laughed and went to my room.
About 4:30 in the morning I hear a scream....
I run out into the living room and my friend is perched on my living room table.
Shes out!!!
Sure enough, someone moved my plant and I never noticed. I looked for her none stop for 2 days. I had to abandon the search because I had to go to work. Now I didnt have much stuff in my place...that's what was confusing. She was a solid 7"+ spider...not some tiny spider.
About a week later I get a page on my pager (911) it was my apartment phone number. I call my apartment and my room mate says "shes out what do I do?" I told him to set a bowl on top of her and I'll grab her when i get home.
Apparently he was sitting on the floor playing video games and was getting cold. He reached over and turned on the baseboard heater. About one minute after he did that she jumped out of the bottom of it and landed between his legs. She built a nice little web nest up inside there and i couldn't see her.
Lmfao, AC if you're gonna room with a beta male, why not just get a female roommate? :D Same difference..

Latest posts