• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Males

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fools consider them undesirable. I can make 10x more money on two males then a single female would cost. I have fully financed my entire hobby and then some due to male tarantulas. I haven't bought a tarantula, enclosure, supplies in decades out of my "pay check" money. Males are where it's at my friend.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fools consider them undesirable. I can make 10x more money on two males then a single female would cost. I have fully financed my entire hobby and then some due to male tarantulas. I haven't bought a tarantula, enclosure, supplies in decades out of my "pay check" money. Males are where it's at my friend.
good point well made.
Bottom line:
If you just want to have a T as a pet and share many a year with them, then females are for you.

If you plan on breeding then obviously you need a male thrown in to the mix at some point and like what @Arachnoclown and myself do, you can keep a massive collection and have it financed by Males as you can sell the spiderlings he has created so you can buy lots and lots of Ts with the income. :)

All down to personal choice

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
How do make that much off males? Even more desirable species like H. pulchripes or X. immanis males are less than $150. Teach me your ways Master
1573497909308.jpeg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How do make that much off males? Even more desirable species like H. pulchripes or X. immanis males are less than $150. Teach me your ways Master
View attachment 41931
ha ha...love Wayne's World.
What @Arachnoclown and others are saying is that the price of a male pales into insignificance if they help produce hundreds of slings which can then be sold on. so the purchase of a male even tho his days are numbered, can sometimes be a sound investment. Obviously you need to factor in the time and effort or raising slings and then finding buyers. Trust me, there are some really awkward and annoying people you sometimes come across when selling these awesome creatures, but like I mentioned in my other post, there is the possibility of making your collection pay for itself and then some, if that's what floats your boat. :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Random example from a Brachypelma sp. I had recently
Example....from one Male
Male $50
Pimp out Male for half a sack.
Got back 150 slings...half a sack
Sell slings $10 each .... $1500

$$$ isnt a for sure thing right away. Lots of work caring and maintaining 100s and 1000s of slings.

I usually pair my males more than once. I've recieved 3 half sacks before off one male on loan. I've also got multiple sacks from my own breeding projects with the same male.

Definitely ain't getting rich but it's fun to trade and keep these species going in the hobby.

Latest posts