• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula identification help request

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
I have a tarantula that molted semi-recently that was sold as a Grammostola pulchra, but after molting, I'm not so sure. Prior to the molt, it looked like many other slings that I've had and seen: small, brown, kinda boring. After the most recent molt, though, it's gone more of a yellow color:

6IM9PNd.jpg

While the camera doesn't quite pick up the color, it was quite a bright yellow color. I kind of passed it off as a thing that happens that I don't know about because I'm still learning the ropes of all of this. The thing is, I have another G. pulchra that I picked up from a different seller at roughly the same size. It molted about a day or two after, and it went from boring brown to much, much darker.

Now that I'm paying closer attention, there are things that aren't sitting right. The abdomen looks more pill shaped on this one than the other. It webs tremendously. The body proportions look more slender. It's a heavy duty webber so far. It's very quick. It has dug quite a number of holes.
I'm trying not the just use my other sling as the definitive example of all pulchras everywhere, but these have been two very different spiders in many ways. The color has toned down, but it still has a yellow sheen to it that doesn't capture well on camera:

jy0hzEM.jpg

kJe3p4h.jpg

So, is my pulchra a pulcra, or is it possibly something else?

I second the recommendation to contact the seller and ask what else they carry to narrow down the ID. I'm in a similar boat at the moment with what's either a T. albopilosus or a T. vagans.

Latest posts