• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dssntx

Hello all! I’m new to this site, I’ve been on Arachnoboards for a while but wanted to try this out.
This is not my own T but someone I know owns it but has no idea what it is.
(Being new to the tarantula hobby I also have no idea lol)
My immediate reaction would be G. pulchra but that seems to not be the case according to iNaturalist and some people on Arachnoboards. Aphonopelma steindachneri seems to be what everyone leans towards but I just wanted to get some more opinions.
Please let me know if I can take pictures of certain parts of the tarantula to confirm any IDs you might have!

Attachments

• 24B0F232-1789-44F7-AA04-9F7DB3ABAA4A.jpeg
    24B0F232-1789-44F7-AA04-9F7DB3ABAA4A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 2BF711CB-1CE2-4226-8B5F-BE1105A5BC49.jpeg
    2BF711CB-1CE2-4226-8B5F-BE1105A5BC49.jpeg
    977.6 KB · Views: 66

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pamphobeteus sp.? I don't think it is a pulchra. Curious to know what @ilovebrachys thinks.
If you were thinking along the lines of pamphobetus the first that would come to mind is pamphobetus antious 'Big black' but somehow I don't think it is.. It doesn't look like a aphonopelma steindachenri either (from what I remember they have brownish hairs on the abdomen?) I will have a think,
How big is the T? and can you get any clearer pictures of it at all?
@Casey K. Will know I'm sure :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In the first picture it looks like Grammastola pulchra but the second pic is throwing me off. I'm thinking it is pulchra. How big is it? Even if it is only 4-5" in leg span, if it were a Pamphobeteus it would still have plenty of time to grow bigger. I'm going with pulchra but I could be wrong.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd be surprised if this turns out to be anything other than G. pulchra. It's certainly not Aphonopelma steindachneri as they have an obviously raised caput which this spider doesn't.
Correct me Pless. The second picture on the spider of interest appears to have an elevated cephalon, at least by my eye. What am I missing?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is it possible to provide a clear picture of the tarantula but NOT through the plastic/plexiglass?

Dssntx

In the first picture it looks like Grammastola pulchra but the second pic is throwing me off. I'm thinking it is pulchra. How big is it? Even if it is only 4-5" in leg span, if it were a Pamphobeteus it would still have plenty of time to grow bigger. I'm going with pulchra but I could be wrong.
Between 4-5" and it has been for a while
Is it possible to provide a clear picture of the tarantula but NOT through the plastic/plexiglass?
Yes, I can do that the next time I see it. I thought I had some already but I can't find them if I do.

Dssntx

If you were thinking along the lines of pamphobetus the first that would come to mind is pamphobetus antious 'Big black' but somehow I don't think it is.. It doesn't look like a aphonopelma steindachenri either (from what I remember they have brownish hairs on the abdomen?) I will have a think,
How big is the T? and can you get any clearer pictures of it at all?
@Casey K. Will know I'm sure :)
Around 4-5" and yes I'll have some clearer pics without the glass soon.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is there burnt orange/reddish colored setae on the abdomen? If not, it's not T. verdezi.

Latest posts