• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Hides/Caves Made From PVC

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
So I'm planning to used halved pieces of 2" PVC pipe for hides/caves for my G.Pulchripes, N.Chromatus and C.Fasciatum. I planning on moving them to larger enclosures as the current deli containers they are kept in are too small.

I don't think the Pieces of PVC will pose a threat to my T's since there are no rough or sharp edges. The only thing that bugs me is the colour....that pale PVC blue is not idea of natural but since the availability of cork bark in my country is rare and synthetic rock type hides expensive the PVC must suffice.

My question is simple...can I paint the PVC so that it can look more natural? I'm also planning on glueing some plastic plants or even some peat moss the make it look better.

Any help, advice or suggestions are very much welcome and greatly appreciated.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use PVC in many of my enclosures and it works just fine. I don't paint it however, and I'm not sure I would recommend painting it.
How about scratching the PVC and putting some non-toxic silicone on it, then rolling it in some sub so that it looks like a dirt tunnel?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I know you can use hot glue to apply moss to furnishings but I don't know about the paint question. Maybe you can find a non-toxic kind???

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
After some investigating a non-toxic paint is available, but I think the paint might start to chip off over time and I don't think this would be desirable. So I'm totally kicking the idea of painting it. @Sabeth and @Kenny I like your ideas. I think I'll try both. Just need to get some non-toxic silicone, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Will try and do it over the weekend and will post some pics with the end result... Hope these hides turn out great:confused:

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
If you really want to paint it, use normal acrylic paint, then spray it with a non toxic sealer that is water resistant. This guy here does lots of backgrounds and **** made from foam. He makes some pretty awesome stuff and tells you exactly what he uses.

Hope this helps.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
So I'm planning to used halved pieces of 2" PVC pipe for hides/caves for my G.Pulchripes, N.Chromatus and C.Fasciatum. I planning on moving them to larger enclosures as the current deli containers they are kept in are too small.

I don't think the Pieces of PVC will pose a threat to my T's since there are no rough or sharp edges. The only thing that bugs me is the colour....that pale PVC blue is not idea of natural but since the availability of cork bark in my country is rare and synthetic rock type hides expensive the PVC must suffice.

My question is simple...can I paint the PVC so that it can look more natural? I'm also planning on glueing some plastic plants or even some peat moss the make it look better.

Any help, advice or suggestions are very much welcome and greatly appreciated.
Have you thought about using ceramic plant pots? I put one on it's side, half buried, for my obt. She didn't use it and chose a log i'd put in as she was small when i got her but she's getting a bit big for the log so the pot will be going back in after her next molt :)

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Ceramic is too heavy. And unless you take the right precautions its very dangerous. If your T was to burrow under the ceramic ones and it was to cave in. It could turn out pretty bad.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Ceramic is too heavy. And unless you take the right precautions its very dangerous. If your T was to burrow under the ceramic ones and it was to cave in. It could turn out pretty bad.
I put the clay pot on the floor in the corner of the tank and left about half of it above the substrate

Dan3

3 Year Member
I used a small clay pot with an one side removed as an opening, now i don't see my T. hmmmmh, last time I saw her she was closing up the entrance with some web and coir. Is that normal?

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
I used a small clay pot with an one side removed as an opening, now i don't see my T. hmmmmh, last time I saw her she was closing up the entrance with some web and coir. Is that normal?
Yes with some species, my Chile Rose blocked herself in for about 8 weeks then re appeared, still looking fat and healthy

RobnBig

3 Year Member
If you really want to paint it, use normal acrylic paint, then spray it with a non toxic sealer that is water resistant. This guy here does lots of backgrounds and **** made from foam. He makes some pretty awesome stuff and tells you exactly what he uses.

Hope this helps.
This is sweet! Looks awesome

Latest posts