• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tarantula help please, I think my tarantula died D:

torstrum

3 Year Member
I just spent 200$ on a female b. smithi, and she hasn't moved since we opened the box, we drove a little over an hour to Schenectady, bought it,i could feel it tapping around pretty much the whole ride home, then set it in a warm place in the house(it had to go out of the pet store to the car, then to popeyes(the kids just had to eat and I had no say in the matter D: D: then into the house, and I fumbled with the keys for, must have been at least a minute while she was just in the box(that's not enough to hurt her is it D: don't think it should been))then we had to go to petco to get a heat mat, by the time he got into the tank and we opened the box he has spent 4 hours in it(D: I REALLY tried to make it a very short amount of time, I was trying to do what was best)and found out that the thing really needed a controller too, so we put a spare heat light above it, which kept it 72F all night, then(D: D: D: D: )I figured it would get to hot as my room heated up in the day, but it got colder, when I got home after 5 hours of work his tank was 66 degrees. She is in the same position she was in when we opened the box, we tried not to move it much, I just hoped she'd come out and we could then just take the box out and be done. but I think it died, I lightly poked her abdomen from behind(with a little stick) and she didn't move. I hope she's just molting but seems pretty pointless to even post this as I finish writing it D: D: D:

I tried my little friend

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok, first off , is it on it's back, or are it's legs curled underneath it?
2nd, lose the light, and heat pad unless your house is below 60 she'll be fine.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
when they Die they curl their legs underneath themselves. If she's just being still, well, that's what they do. The do have the monniker of "pet rocks"

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When they under go stress, such as relocating, it can take them some time to relax and start exploring. Don't panic. This seems normal.

Why don't you post some pics of your new pet? :)

torstrum

3 Year Member
That's what I figured, thanks, I was just alarmed when she hadn't really changed position at all. And once she starts to come out I'll post some pictures, but my only camera is an ipod 4 camera, so unless I shine a light on her, which I don't want to do, you can't any more than minor details and red knees while she's in the box.

Oh and I got a zoo-med heat mat, a small one, it's been on for about 10 minutes now and it doesn't feel warm, and her tank has cooled since I turned of the light(at the moment I have it running by an extension cord, and I don't really see any way around that) and the heat mat isn't really very warm

Latest posts