• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula enclosure temps

Adrock

E3C61FB9-90DD-4AB4-9EBD-54727502096B.jpeg
56FBE288-AD5A-4774-B200-552A51557360.jpeg
A36BC1AF-F444-4E23-A2CE-DFB2E351C565.jpeg
31FA40C7-792E-4C69-8992-E803D5CC7827.jpeg
2DF17176-5A64-41C8-8DDD-E3C6794B0988.jpeg
33E79DC7-695C-435A-A41F-D884905DBFBA.jpeg
A year after getting my first T I finally got a heat lamp and temp gauge. Here in the Midwest it’s easy to keep my house at 68-70 during the winter, but I’ve had a small space heater that I keep more than a foot away from the T’s. For the last year I did the best with what I had; I would consistently check the glass to make sure it never got too hot. Not sure why it took so long for me to get a better setup but my T’s are definitely more active (which I take for “happy” ). Lesson learned and grateful for everything I’m learning on this forum!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you are flexible with your room temps, try getting it to 75 degrees. 60s and low 70s are at the bottom range for tropical species. Think about what the climate is like at the equator, either desert or jungle as the case may be.

If the room is to cold and you must use a heat lamp, in my opinion, keep the light bulb more then 8" away from anywhere the tarantula can touch and not more powerful then 25 watts. Mount it to the side or above, never below or inside!!

You will need a voltage controller switch unless you user exact distance to get the temps right. You will also need a point and shoot Infrared thermometer to check every square inch for unsafe areas that can harm the T.

If this doesn't sound like fun, just do mid 70s in your room and be happy. Always avoid all direct sunlight as well.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
... A year after getting my first T I finally got a heat lamp and temp gauge. Here in the Midwest it’s easy to keep my house at 68-70 during the winter, but I’ve had a small space heater that I keep more than a foot away from the T’s. For the last year I did the best with what I had; I would consistently check the glass to make sure it never got too hot. Not sure why it took so long for me to get a better setup but my T’s are definitely more active (which I take for “happy” ). Lesson learned and grateful for everything I’m learning on this forum!...

Read Temperature.

BTW, here in Zapata, Texas (google that one if you're interested) it's now 82° F ( 27° C). You'll be relieved to know that the local tarantulas are doing just fine.

RGG-5706-010.jpg

RonC

3 Year Member
Interesting read on temperature. Only reason I've considered warming their enclosures is to get mine past the tiny stage quicker. Noticed this morning over the last week all but one sling has opened their burrow. My B.hamorii sling was out and about roaming its enclosure earlier. They know Spring is coming.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you are flexible with your room temps, try getting it to 75 degrees. 60s and low 70s are at the bottom range for tropical species. Think about what the climate is like at the equator, either desert or jungle as the case may be.

If the room is to cold and you must use a heat lamp, in my opinion, keep the light bulb more then 8" away from anywhere the tarantula can touch and not more powerful then 25 watts. Mount it to the side or above, never below or inside!!

You will need a voltage controller switch unless you user exact distance to get the temps right. You will also need a point and shoot Infrared thermometer to check every square inch for unsafe areas that can harm the T.

If this doesn't sound like fun, just do mid 70s in your room and be happy. Always avoid all direct sunlight as well.
The 50s would be the bottom range on a tropical species. I've seen A. Seemanni on vacation in Costa Rica hunting at night in that temperature range.
You should give @Stan Schultz temperature link a read. Lots of good information there.

Latest posts