• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula acting abnormal

KaylaPenner

3 Year Member
My curly hair T molted 2 months ago, she has since been acting very strange, she won't leave her hide, I never see her drink water and she isn't as hungry, she isn't be molting again so why is she acting so weird?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What size is she? Like Scoolman said, the larger the spider, the longer the recovery time after a molt. Also, I don't know what the temps are where you're at, but mine three have all currently burrowed and have been hiding since it got colder. Although I keep my room heated, they seem to pick up on some environmental trigger (drier air due to the furnace, perhaps) that tells them to lay low for a bit.

Do you have pics of her? :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't worry, it's normal tarantula behavior :) Sometimes the molting process takes a lot out of them, and you'll notice that some molts are much worse than others, for whatever reason. My psycho pulchripes last molt was like that. He doesn't wander around much now, and seems to have little interest in killing me anymore. He must have molted out of his teens.

KaylaPenner

3 Year Member
What size is she? Like Scoolman said, the larger the spider, the longer the recovery time after a molt. Also, I don't know what the temps are where you're at, but mine three have all currently burrowed and have been hiding since it got colder. Although I keep my room heated, they seem to pick up on some environmental trigger (drier air due to the furnace, perhaps) that tells them to lay low for a bit.

Do you have pics of her? :)

Most recent picture of her, her name is tickles

Attachments

• 12696556_10207093340184998_1458949671_o.jpg
    12696556_10207093340184998_1458949671_o.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 26

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like she's about 3-4"? I'd agree with the others. Let her rest for a while and recover. She'll eat when she's ready. It's not uncommon for their behavior to change after a molt either.

KaylaPenner

3 Year Member
Looks like she's about 3-4"? I'd agree with the others. Let her rest for a while and recover. She'll eat when she's ready. It's not uncommon for their behavior to change after a molt either.

How do you know when they are hungry? I usually just throw a cricket in every couple of days but is there a way to tell?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How do you know when they are hungry? I usually just throw a cricket in every couple of days but is there a way to tell?
If they are in a hide or a burrow, they'll sit with their legs sticking out a little. I've never had a tarantula refuse prey when in that position. That's hunting mode for them. But the only real way to know is to get familiar with her habits, and you'll just know...that's the only way I can say it really. And sometimes you'll still be wrong, and have to remove the prey, but usually you'll know. You'll become familiar with each spider's moods and habits, and when something changes you'll notice it. They're kind of alien at first, but after awhile they're like any other pet, only with fangs and venom. lol :)

KaylaPenner

3 Year Member
If they are in a hide or a burrow, they'll sit with their legs sticking out a little. I've never had a tarantula refuse prey when in that position. That's hunting mode for them. But the only real way to know is to get familiar with her habits, and you'll just know...that's the only way I can say it really. And sometimes you'll still be wrong, and have to remove the prey, but usually you'll know. You'll become familiar with each spider's moods and habits, and when something changes you'll notice it. They're kind of alien at first, but after awhile they're like any other pet, only with fangs and venom. lol :)

The fangs and venom are the best part (I once had someone ask me if i got her "de-fanged"), thank you so much for your help

Last edited:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At that size, just like what happened with my B. auratum, the molt really takes a toll on them and sometimes you can feel so helpless the way they move like there is no life in their legs. It took almost a week before mine was able to stand without dragging its butt in the sub. ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. genic is acting weird since my son rehoused her week before last. Could be premolt but i'm not so sure. She has a new hide, she outgrew the piece of cork bark we originally had, so this one is a bit more than a half tube and probably 2.5-3" diameter. Now all she does is climb up on the inside and hang there. She's refusing food, and her abdomen started going dark within the last week, so she is going into premolt. But would that make her climb the wall?

We moistened the substrate for burrowing, so it will hold shape and my son used cold water originally. I forgot to tell him to use lukewarm water and thought maybe the sub being cool to the touch wasn't to her liking. So we pulled the top half or so of the sub out and used room temp water to moisten it again for burrowing. Then used warmer water for the bottom half to help with humidity. The sub isn't wet, just enough moisture so that it holds shape.

I keep thinking we did something wrong with the sub as she's acting a lot like the rosea when we accidentally drop water on her substrate. She climbs the walls until it's evaporated. Maybe we don't need this moisture now for the genic since she's larger? Or i guess she could just be pissed we gave her large home to the chalcodes and she's in a KK now, but she has plenty of room in this one, possibly more than the square box she was in.

KaylaPenner

3 Year Member
My ask time favorite question. Ask them if they have had their dogs teeth removed.

Lol, some people aren't very good at.. common sense i guess. After i told him i obviously didn't get her "de-fanged" he told me i must like to live dangerously, even though I own one of the most docile breeds

KaylaPenner

3 Year Member
My A. genic is acting weird since my son rehoused her week before last. Could be premolt but i'm not so sure. She has a new hide, she outgrew the piece of cork bark we originally had, so this one is a bit more than a half tube and probably 2.5-3" diameter. Now all she does is climb up on the inside and hang there. She's refusing food, and her abdomen started going dark within the last week, so she is going into premolt. But would that make her climb the wall?

We moistened the substrate for burrowing, so it will hold shape and my son used cold water originally. I forgot to tell him to use lukewarm water and thought maybe the sub being cool to the touch wasn't to her liking. So we pulled the top half or so of the sub out and used room temp water to moisten it again for burrowing. Then used warmer water for the bottom half to help with humidity. The sub isn't wet, just enough moisture so that it holds shape.

I keep thinking we did something wrong with the sub as she's acting a lot like the rosea when we accidentally drop water on her substrate. She climbs the walls until it's evaporated. Maybe we don't need this moisture now for the genic since she's larger? Or i guess she could just be pissed we gave her large home to the chalcodes and she's in a KK now, but she has plenty of room in this one, possibly more than the square box she was in.

In my opinion it definitely sounds like theres something wrong with the substrate if she doesn't want to touch it, maybe try putting some dry substrate over top of it?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

@kormath Maybe you just haven't given her enough time to settle down in the new enclosure. My Ts also like to stay on top of their hides or on the walls or on the sub or wherever they liked to be at that moment. :) Just don't over think it, for all we know, it all is part of being a T in captivity. ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I've noticed some of mine get restless and climb a little in premolt...not excessively though. I use moist substrate for both my genics, they love it. But I also let it dry out, I don't keep them moist constantly. Changes in humidity and temp will cause them to climb as well.

Latest posts