• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tank size

shaun

3 Year Member
When I got my first avic I asked the pet shop what I needed. Was I mis sold the exo terra 12x12x18 inches? The T died and I now have a sling.
I am thinking of down sizing to the nano tall, which is 8x8x12 inches.
Any advice appreciated

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am new to the hobby myself. But, would ask how big is your sling? I had a Caribina Versicolor sling delivered this morning & it is currently in a clear plastic microwave pot, that has a clip on lid & could easily be kept in an even smaller pot. And my adult Phormictopus cancerides, (Haitian Brown,) who is a mature male is in a smaller enclosure than the exo Terra you originally purchased. But there is nothing wrong with giving your T more space than it needs.
Would you suffer in a home that was too big for your minimum needs?
One thing I have learnt on here is that slings sometimes die. That is in part why I ordered 2 slings, plus it increases my chances of getting a female later on.
The pot I have my sling in, are available from poundland at 5 for guess what? Yep a pound. If you have a The Range close by, they sell plenty of smaller plastic tanks for T's that cost from about £3.99 to around £10. Plus they have a decent range of clear plastic kitchen tubs with clip on lids that also make good first homes, if you drill or melt, a few air holes into them & all for a few pounds at most. You would then move your sling into a larger enclosure when it got bigger.
The Range also sells substrate, small bags of sphagnum Moss & other bits & pieces too. My local Range has a better range of items that the neighbouring pets at home.

shaun

3 Year Member
Thanks. I have it housed in a standard plastic drinking beaker, full of holes. The T is about one and a half inches across, I am just planning ahead for when I rehouse it to a tank.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamie's has one of those 4x4x8 juvenile arboreal enclosures which should be perfect for a larger sling or juvenile.

Currently my C versicolor is in an ExoTerra nano. I put him in there when his legspan was about the size of a silver dollar. He adapted very well.

Avics need absolutely NO extra humidity beyond the waterdish, which should be elevated. Some may not be willing to go onto the ground to drink. YMMV.

They can get mold infections in their book lungs and die suddenly if the humidity is beyond that of the average home, but keep that water dish full at all times. Do NOT overflow it!!

Once they create a web, just drop feeders into it. This makes enclosure size less critical since their web is in a sense the true size of their enclosure.

Give them lots of elevated webbing anchor points where you want them to go, not just a bare featureless enclosure.

shaun

3 Year Member
Jamie's has one of those 4x4x8 juvenile arboreal enclosures which should be perfect for a larger sling or juvenile.

Currently my C versicolor is in an ExoTerra nano. I put him in there when his legspan was about the size of a silver dollar. He adapted very well.

Avics need absolutely NO extra humidity beyond the waterdish, which should be elevated. Some may not be willing to go onto the ground to drink. YMMV.

They can get mold infections in their book lungs and die suddenly if the humidity is beyond that of the average home, but keep that water dish full at all times. Do NOT overflow it!!

Once they create a web, just drop feeders into it. This makes enclosure size less critical since their web is in a sense the true size of their enclosure.

Give them lots of elevated webbing anchor points where you want them to go, not just a bare featureless enclosure.

shaun

3 Year Member
Great information. Thank you, I have bought plastic reptile vents and was considering cutting holes and fitting the vents.
Not sure what to do

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Go to www.roundvents.com to get vents.

Then go to the hardware store and get the correct hole saw bits to cut out the correct sized holes.

Cordless drills are easier. Harbor freight is fairly reasonable in terms of cost.

You can also use a butane powered soldering iron to make holes in amec boxes if you prefer.