• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tailles whip scorpions

nedaK

I’ve owned one. I unknowingly bought one that was wild caught and practically catatonic. It died about 3 weeks later. They need lots of humidity and are arboreal. They almost never go on the ground. They are basically a cross between a spider and a praying mantis (but obviously they can’t fly).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've owned three, had them for..five years or so. Give them plenty of vertical corkbark and plastic plants for molting and cover, a large waterdish, and mist them every few days. They love red runners and crickets. These guys are fascinating to watch and if you move very slowly and gently, you can hold them. They are awesome. No other invertebrate can pose and strike like them. Just awesome creatures. They come from damp caves in Africa. The big ones anyway. I recommend getting several syblings if you're going communal. I ended up seperating mine unless I was trying to breed them(never did). They will squabble, and sometimes kill each other.

Edit: I forgot to mention, plenty of ventilation is required. They shouldnt be wet all the time, thats why I misted every two days, lightly, but they always should have a large water dish.

Last edited:

THETGUY

I've owned three, had them for..five years or so. Give them plenty of vertical corkbark and plastic plants for molting and cover, a large waterdish, and mist them every few days. They love red runners and crickets. These guys are fascinating to watch and if you move very slowly and gently, you can hold them. They are awesome. No other invertebrate can pose and strike like them. Just awesome creatures. They come from damp caves in Africa. The big ones anyway. I recommend getting several syblings if you're going communal. I ended up seperating mine unless I was trying to breed them(never did). They will squabble, and sometimes kill each other.

Edit: I forgot to mention, plenty of ventilation is required. They shouldnt be wet all the time, thats why I misted every two days, lightly, but they always should have a large water dish.
Thanks mass exodus. Do you know any credible vendors that sell these? Any breeders or people on this Forum?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks mass exodus. Do you know any credible vendors that sell these? Any breeders or people on this Forum?
You're welcome. Its been awhile, but you could try ken the bug guy, pinchers and pokies exotics, and the classifieds in any tarantula forum. Also the fauna classifieds, someone there should have some. Good luck. You'll like them.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I just got one by accident from backwaterreptiles
Why am I not surprised? They have a terrible reputation for sending the wrong invert, or sick/dead/missing appendages. Most keepers stay well clear of them. This recent harrowing, stomach churning thread below tells ya why.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Why am I not surprised? They have a terrible reputation for sending the wrong invert, or sick/dead/missing appendages. Most keepers stay well clear of them. This recent harrowing, stomach churning thread below tells ya why.

I will be looking for a different company in future, any suggestions? I live in Nebraska

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I will be looking for a different company in future, any suggestions? I live in Nebraska

Well, I'm from the UK (even we know of Backwaters terrible rep) so I can't recommend alternatives, I'm afraid. There is a post from @MassExodus above which lists some US sellers, plus I'm sure our US members will let you know of a few in due course.

Latest posts